If a Body Kiss a Body

A host of elves led the champions back toward the oval great chamber of the Galadhrim. There the five archers bowed before the Lord and Lady in the green and silver hall. Haldir and Eledhel found themselves wishing that they would not leave wet marks on the floor.

"We praise you, lords and lady," Lord Celeborn greeted them, "and commend you before all on your skill shown today. Let the names of Prince Legolas, First Marshal Eledhel, Lady Miredhel, Captain Haldir, Belegil, and Farothin be remembered even unto our last days." Many elves had joined the presentation and lightly applauded. The great hall seemed to have a calming effect over everybody, and the jubilance that had marked the contest faded into reverence.

As soon as Lady Miredhel had joined the others, she felt small amidst the grandeur of the great chamber and the ethereal Lord and Lady. She glanced at her companions. They were true warriors. Today, she had performed with the finest accuracy in all her years, but she felt unworthy to be here, in this place, with them. On many occasions she had seen Eledhel or his friends receive praise in front of the court. They had fought hard against the foes of the Galadhrim and deserved the attention of the Lord and Lady, but not her, not now. She stole a fleeting look at the prince. He looked so regal. She had thought him proud, arrogant even. Now she saw him as he was, the son of Thranduil king, the elven hope of the Nine Companions. If he was proud, did he not have every right to be? She tore her eyes away and faced Lady Galadriel. The Lady seemed to know her mind, and Miredhel allowed herself to take comfort in the sympathy of her eyes.

"Lords and ladies, we have gathered here to honor our tournament champion, Prince Legolas of Eryn Lasgalen. With his aim and skill on the field, he has won your hearts. Now let him claim a different sort of prize, one worthy of such an archer," Lady Galadriel said with a smile. "Prince Legolas, step forward."

Legolas approached the royal seats. He kneeled, saying "It is an honor, my lady."

"I believe you already have a long bow," she said, her eyes merry, "but I have long awaited an archer fine enough to claim this quiver and arrows. These are not to be used lightly," she warned, "for they have been enchanted long ago during the days of Gondolin to break through the strongest of armor and bring down even the most grim of enemies."

Legolas bowed and took his gift with awe. Silvery engravings and runes graced the quiver and decorated even the shaft and arrowheads. As he looked to thank her, the prince heard her speak inside his head, "Use them well! Your days of peril are not yet over." The prince felt confused. Surely the lady had seen some premonition. He would leave Lothlorien and its safe borders soon. Danger still persisted in this world, and he would have to keep his guard up if he meant to protect his new followers. He turned to face the rest of the hall and met with salutes and cheers.

"Noble elves of Galadhon," called Celeborn, "join us tonight to celebrate our champions in a feast worthy of these final days." With that said, the crowd and champions departed. Eledhel and Haldir could not leave soon enough to go and change into drier clothing. Legolas sought Lady Limaer so he could return her ribbon, and Miredhel found herself standing alone.

She watched the prince from afar and the way that Limaer colored at his appearance, flipping her hair and batting her eyelashes. The prince did not seem to have to many objections to her advances and even went so far as to offer his arm to escort her from the room. "They are perfect for each other—so completely self-absorbed, one will never know if the other is missing," she muttered under her breath, although she really felt slightly annoyed at the fact that Limaer would try and throw herself in the way of Prince Legolas. 'He is completely beyond her,' she thought. Miredhel, so busy with her thoughts, did not notice that the Lady Galadriel had joined her side.

"Miredhel, you did very well today," she said. Miredhel snapped to, surprised by the Lady's sudden attention. She felt more than a little grimy in Galadriel's presence.