Dangerous Games

Legolas and Miredhel met together later that night in the comfort of her tent that the prince rebuilt for her. They sat comfortably on their blankets spread over the sweet prairie grass, and both elves embraced the chance to be alone together.

"I've been waiting all evening to do this again," he said, pulling her into a fierce hug and raining eager kisses along her forehead, cheek, and neck, before capturing her mouth in a searing, hungry kiss.

She gladly complied, tilting her head back and leaning into him to make the most of his welcome embrace.

"If it seems like I'm crazy about you, Miredhel—I am," he confessed, wrapping his arms around her even more tightly and kissing the top of her head possessively. "You were all I could think of today," he whispered.

"Legolas," she said in turn, tilting her head just a little so her frank, hazel eyes could meet his hectic blue ones. "I am so glad and relieved that I came with you on this journey. I seriously don't know what I would have done if I were still back in Minas Tirith right now, wanting you the way I do." She traced her thumb gently from his forehead across his cheek to his perfect lips. "If you only knew the way I feel inside—"

"Like molton rock?" he guessed.

"I was going to say like the strongest miruvor—but yes," she agreed, her voice going soft. "And all I can think of is how much I want to be with you." She looked at him a bit wild-eyed and then leaned her head against his shoulder.

"I'm right here," he soothed, smoothing his hand over her hair.

"It's almost painful," she murmured, "and you're right here with me. I can't imagine how I would feel if you were gone."

"I know," he said, "I know," and he tried to make sense of their feelings. "After last night, I wondered—no, I knew this would happen. I knew it that night. It's why I insisted you join the war party with me."

"Legolas, it can't be—"

His eyes deepened as he looked at her cheek upon his shoulder. "It can, Miredhel," he said gently, "and it is. I knew it after the first time we made love."

"Forgive me, if I'm not as experienced in these matters as you," she said and frowned, pulling away from him, "but doesn't it seem a little hasty to you, Legolas? It was only one night!--albeit several times, but—"

"Miredhel, I love you," he said, pulling her back into his arms and delivering another fierce kiss to the top of her head. "I LOVE you, and I can not imagine any other elf that I would rather bond in love with, than you, you and none other."

"It feels like it's happening so fast, but then at the same time, I have been waiting for this all my life," she said and attempted a small laugh, "—all those nights, Legolas, that I spent dreaming in that garden. I never dreamed it would happen like this—"

"Shh, Miredhel," he said quietly, "I know it's not a perfect courtship, but I promise you that—"

She stopped him mid-sentence by covering his lips with her own, and he gave into the kiss, open and tender. He let himself lean back onto the blankets and grass beneath them, pulling her down beside him, their legs tangled together, and he could feel how warm she was beside him and felt the beating of her heart against his chest.

Miredhel stopped the kiss and looked in his eyes.

"I don't care about a perfect courtship. I just want to be with you. Legolas," she said, shaking her head, "you're a prince, a leader, and a hero to our people." She ran a tremulous finger across his hairline and down one of his braids. "A hero to me," she said quietly, gazing down. "I'm honored, and amazed, and so very glad that I should share in this gift with you, a bond with you." She looked up at him again, and her eyes were wet and laden with love and longing.