The Games Begin

Characters:

Legolas Greenleaf: prince of Eryn Lasgalen. Plans on building new kingdom of elves in Ithilien

Haldir: captain of the guard in Lothlorien

Eledhel: friend to Legolas, son of Bragoglin,

Miredhel: sister to Eledhel, daughter of Bragoglin

Belegil and Sulindal: twin brothers, warriors, and friends of Eledhel.

Galadriel and Celeborn: ancient and wise rulers of Lothlorien

Tinarien: elf maiden and lady-in-waiting to Galadriel

Gilgafier: advisor to Celeborn, likes runes

Thranduil: king of Greenwood (Eryn Lasgalen) and father of Legolas

Places:

Caras Galadhon: Elvish city in Lothlorien

Lothlorien: the Golden Wood, realm of Galadriel and Celeborn

Eryn Lasgalen: aka Mirkwood, Greenwood the Great, home of Legolas

Ithilien: Forest between Gondor and Mordor. Legolas plans on setting up a new elvish colony there.

Preparations for the archery tournament followed the sun's slow creep over the hills

Preparations for the archery tournament followed the sun's slow creep over the hills. Busy hands set up seating, hung targets. Across Caras Galadhon, elves crept from flets to see the stars and moon dim in early morning light. First one voice, then two, then numerous uncountable called to each other in ever-changing song, both joyous and as old as Cuivienen. They sang of rivers running and forests deep. A myriad of voices strong and clear, sweet and sad, blessed the dawn and the contest to come.

Legolas alone in his room lifted his voice as he checked his bow and gathered his arrows into his quiver. He had already dressed before dawn, choosing to represent his royal house by wearing green and brown. He had also decided to rebraid his hair into the traditional House of Oropher braids. Legolas had never cared too much for pomp, but his intuition told him that his father would have been pleased by this gesture. Thranduil would have been piqued to discover that his son had been omitting his prince's crown from his standard attire as of late. The crown was not balky, gaudy, heavy, or any of those things; it was merely a simple circlet of silver carved with leaves. Legolas peered at the crown among his possessions. With a sigh, he picked it up and put it on. He tilted his head. The crown slid over his ear. This will never do, he thought, not for a tournament at least.

Legolas carefully placed the crown back into his pack, picked up his weapons and proceeded to the stables on his way to the archery fields. Upon arrival, Legolas cheerfully greeted his horse, Arod, who whinnied and stamped in return.

"Easy, my friend. I do not come empty-handed," replied Legolas. He produced an apple and offered it to Arod. While the horse munched greedily, Legolas ran his fingers through the mane. He had owned and loved many horses in his years, but he thought Arod one of the finest. They had become fast friends on the fields of Rohan, seeing many battles and traveling many more roads. Always, Arod had been faithful.