Building Trust

Obligatory Thranduil pic because I 💕 Thranduil! #ElvenkingsNeedLoveToo

(And this chapter was the first time I ever wrote the Elvenking in a scene! Waaaay before I ever wrote Kingsfoil or Wanderlust.  Good times, y'all. Good times.)

Miredhel stirred restlessly in the dark

Miredhel stirred restlessly in the dark.  Legolas thought her asleep but her heart weighed too heavily for the light dreams of the elvenkind.  She had repeatedly told herself to stop thinking of all the things she had said, that no good could come of worrying, or that such thoughts were futile.  When he had held her in his arms, she was sure she had done the right thing in telling him about Annariel.  The entire world could have slipped into oblivion, and Miredhel would not have minded.  Only now she faced the darkness alone.  She worried that she had said too much, revealed too much.  Miredhel felt so exposed and foolish.  What must he think of her?  She twisted miserably in his bedroll, yanking the blanket up over her head.  The fresh, piney scent of the blanket reminded her of him.  Miredhel clenched her fists in the dark, knowing fully well that she would not sleep tonight.

She heard Legolas' light footfalls draw near.  For the entire time that she had lain awake, the prince had wandered the grove in sleeplessness.  Part of her very much wanted to call to him, confide that she too could not sleep, but the sound of his soft singing stopped her.  Instead, she listened to his fair elven voice.  At first she could barely make sense of his quiet words until his voice rose like a crown above the dark trees, wrenching in its beauty, thickened in a tangle of emotions—desire, regret, sorrow...love.

Miredhel squeezed her eyes shut.  She had heard enough to conclude bitterly one honest truth—Legolas was very much in love.   She dared not hope that he sang of her, for his song favored someone with deepest blue and brightest gold.  She might have the golden part covered, but her hazel eyes were anything but blue.  Apparently, Legolas could hardly wait to be reunited with this love of his; so great was his need and desire for her.  His voice faded away with his footsteps, leaving Miredhel with more questions than answers.  Why did he show interest in her when he already loved another?  Why did he pretend to care about their kiss?   Miredhel felt used and confused.  She did not find rest until the wee hours of dawn.

  She did not find rest until the wee hours of dawn