s e v e n

Chapter 7.

That's cool, right? We're already at Chapter 7.

So, just this once, I'm writing this from my point of view.

I do the third person chapters, by the way. Sometimes it's all of us, sometimes it's just me. But it's mostly me.

If I like writing this, I might do more from my POV, so be ready for that.

I'll get on with it now. Thanks for reading!

Catie's POV

"Hey. Catie." I woke up to see Mike shaking me. I must have nodded off sometime. "Hi," I said drowsily. "We nearly there?"

"Afraid not. The driver says he's experiencing some difficulties." He emphasized the word 'difficulties', as if to show that that wasn't what he really meant.

"How are the others?"

"Doing fine. Harper is acting slightly demented, but hey, she's always like that."

From across the carriage, Harper rolled her eyes.

That was when the train stopped.

I don't mean just stopped. The whole train literally jerked upwards before skidding to a halt that sent me flying across the room into the compartment door. Nikki had been flung into a stack of crates, scattering them everywhere. Mike had his head in a cardboard box and was hanging onto the overhead railing for dear life. Harper, of course, was sitting with her legs crossed, completely unscathed. She took out one earphone and raised her eyebrows. "This is a train, not a circus," she said. "What on earth are you idiots doing?"

"Getting killed," replied Mike, "while you just sit there blowing on your nails."

Harper smirked, before helping me and Nikki up.

When we were all back in our seats, we heard a thumping from outside. Someone was talking, too, but it was hard to make out.

"...check the luggage drop. 'Eard a noise from there a second ago."

Nothing had to be said. The four of us dived behind the nearest objects. I was crouching behind a stack of suitcases. Nikki was across from me, hiding in a crate. I couldn't see Harper or Mike.

"...just in here."

The door creaked, and I squeezed my eyes shut. Light filled the room. Someone walked in; a man, I assumed, judging by the weight of the footsteps. He was still for a moment, then proceeded to walk around the room. I curled into a ball as he passed my hiding spot. My heart pounded. He walked around the rest of the room slowly before returning to the second person and mumbling something half-heartedly. A few seconds later, there was a thump and the door slammed shut. I buried my head in my knees, hearing several sets of footsteps walking away – more than two. There must have been someone else at the door.

I slumped back against the wall, breathing heavily. I suddenly felt aware of the situation. We had illegally boarded a train, and could face serious punishment if we were found. My head spun. Why did I do this? Laurel had never done anything for me. What would my mum do when she found out? Would I ever be allowed to see my friends again? Why had I dragged them into this? They didn't deserve this, they didn't deserve this at all...

Harper tapped my shoulder, snapping me out of my trance. Then she said two words that made my heart plummet down into my stomach.

"Where's Mike?"