c s 2

Hey there. It's me again, Mike. Told you I was doing more of these. Anyway, you better read this bit carefully – it's the story of how it all started. Get ready, this will be a long one.

Mike's POV

SEVEN YEARS AGO

Ping. I picked up my phone to see what had gone off. It was a text from Catie. It said:

u must see this. my house asap.

I turned up at her house a few minutes later. I rang the doorbell and was instantly answered. Catie stood at the door in her pyjamas. She had obviously not showered yet – her hair was a tangled, frizzy mess and her eyes had huge bags under them. Immediately worried, I followed her up to her room. Without a word, she collapsed onto her favourite beanbag, pulling me with her. I waited silently as she looked through her texts. After a few minutes, she looked up at me, as though she had only just become aware of my presence. Still I waited as she loaded up voicemail, until finally, she found the thing she wanted and turned the volume up so I could hear.

This is your personal voicemail. You have one new message, received today at 1:32 am.

The phone beeped.

I sat back, prepared for a death threat or a cruel comment. However, I wasn't surprised when her dad's voice came on.

I noticed that the air conditioning was on 40.

Catie, I know you aren't too happy with me right now, but I you need to listen to me, just this once. You see, the...

I coughed.

Catie paused the voicemail and stared at me. At first I thought she was looking at something behind me, but my back was right against the wall. Her eyes were glassy and red-rimmed. I opened my mouth, but couldn't think of anything to say, so I closed it again.

She didn't blink.

"Listen," she whispered to the wall.

She pressed a button, and the phone beeped, and her dad's voice was back.

...everything seems to be against me these days, Catie. Yesterday morning, I...

He sniffed, stifling tears, I assumed.

...I woke up and your sister was gone. She's not back yet.

I don't know where she is. Has she run away from me? What did I do to make my daughter run away from me?

Another sniff.

I've searched and searched, but she's just not here. I've looked everywhere. Everywhere!

He laughed sarcastically, his voice drained of all emotion.

The AC was still blasting.

What have I done to deserve this?

I'm alone now, Catie, but I haven't given up yet. I need you to help me. Catie... will you come? Will you help your dad?

It's easy. You'll fit in here. I've worked out a great local school for you to go to, and together, dad and daughter, we can find Laurel. Will you do it, Catie? Will you come and live with me?

"No," she sniffed. "No, I won't."

I put my hand on her shoulder, but she pushed me away. "NO, I WON'T!"

She grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the room, down the stairs, through the kitchen, and out of the back door. Her mum watched expressionlessly from the living room as we ran through the garden and out onto the road. Still, Catie did not stop, pushing on down the high street, now sobbing uncontrollably. She skidded to a halt just outside the park entrance, and wiped her nose with her sleeve.

We stared at each other for a moment. I coughed again.

"I really don't want to go with him."

I nodded. "I know."

Catie shook her head and stared at the sky. "It's all just noise, though. It may be hurtful noise, it may be happy noise, but really, it's all just noise, the same noise. It's all just noise, isn't it? It's all noise. Just noise."

I nodded, and with that she blinked and turned around, and then, at a very relaxed pace, began walking back up the road, leaving me alone at the park entrance. I put my hands in my pockets.

I did not tell her she was going the wrong way.

Nor did I tell her that she was still wearing pyjamas.