Chapter 14

We walk alongside Mitsuhide in silence, with me admiring the flowers that seem to be growing more beautiful everyday. We make our way into the castle, walking up to Zen's work office. "I'm glad you both came so quickly. We asked Akemi to be here because we need your help with Zen."

"Did he get hurt of something?," I asked. "Not exactly. He left on official business inside the castle the other day and then snuck off to check out the local area," Mitsuhide explained. "He snuck off?", Shirayuki said. "Well, everybody around here is used to him doing that. But his time, he was really late coming back and he didn't clear it with the ministers. From what I've gathered, they were a lot harder than him than they usually are."

"So that's what's wrong with him? Depression?," Shirayuki says. "That child, he can't take a little disciplining," I said. Mitsuhide exaggerates a laugh and then says, "No, not really." We make it to the top, fortunately, as there were more stairs than I remembered...

He then proceeds to knock on the ginormous pastel purple doors, turning to us. "It's more like he's being a baby about it by locking himself in the office and overworking himself out of pure spite. I peeked in, putting my head right above Shirayuki, being 5'8 and 5 inches taller than her.

And I actually could not believe my eyes. Zen was sitting in his little chair, facing towards us, writing something. His eyes faced downwards and a bunch of books covered his desk. And worse of all, there was a literal dark aura surrounding him. I resisted the urge to laugh but couldn't help myself as his head raised up to look at who was at the door.

There were bags under his eyes, and he looked pissed as Hell. The aura didn't go away even when he realized it was Shirayuki and I. "A...kemi? Shirayuki?," his tired voice said in disbelief, "Am I dreaming?" "Unless you're dreaming about me digging my way back from Hell, then I take that as a compliment, " I laugh.

"Zen," Mitsuhide firmly says, pointing to his chest, "Bringing Akemi here was my idea, since you would rather spend time with her than sleep. You're the one who said that." Zen's expression bloomed into one of embarrassment. "I only said that because you two wouldn't get off my back!," he said.

Kiki walks in front of him, holding a book and reading it. "She was all you could talk about. You even wrote her name on a couple of documents. Go spend time with her!" Shirayuki looked outside and whispered to me, "Sorry, Akemi, I have to go practice for the pharmacist test that's coming up. Good luck with Zen~." She made her way out, leaving me in a bit of shock.

On the other hand..."I swear to the lord of all weaponry, if I get blamed for signing those documents, I am sending you straight to Hell," I mumble. Mitsuhide looks at me in fear. 'Well, if you don't want all your applies to say 'Akemi', then you should probably take a bre-." "Mitsuhide! You and I need to have a little talk later!"

In the slight awkwardness that I felt, I said, "You know what, maybe I should just go home. Sorry for bothering-." Zen shot up, slamming his hands on the table, causing his pen to roll off. "Ummm." Kiki walks next to Mitsuhide, her arms crossed in a cool fashion. "You guys are being unfair," Zen says, just like a child.

Kiki and Mitsuhide do a little march and stand at attention, saying in unison, "We realize that, sir."