Chapter 15

"I'm sorry they made you come out here," Zen says, staring out the window. "It's alright. As long as you don't run out of this jasmine tea, you're perfectly fine. Though, are you suffering at all?" "Yeah, but just because I was gone too long...I don't want to be one of those Prince's in name only," He says, staring down at absolute nothingness, leaning back into his cushions.

"Ah, that's why you've been working so hard," I say, taking a sip of my tea. "Eh, I've finished twice as much," and in a higher pitched voice, he says, "So next time they can't say anything about it." "Mhmmm." "It's not that I mind doing paperwork. I just don't want to lose sight of what's happening to the people. It's fast, my country and I want to see the entire thing. I'm not even close yet."

A small laugh escapes my throat. "Wow, if you haven't seen all of Clarines yet, then it's gonna take ages for me to explore Sauron," I stare out the window, "Being gone for so long really makes me want to just drop everything and go out to visit the citizens and whatnot. Seeing all of it would be incredible."

Zen sighs and leans back, seeming to dwell off again. I place my tea next to me, digging into my coat pocket and pulling out a bundle of herbs. "Zen." The mentioned yawned, rubbing his head. "Yeah? What is it?"

"You seem quite tired. I was gonna give this to Shirayuki, seeing as she stayed up all night, but you seem like you need it more." I hand the filled cloth to him.

"It's commonly known as passionflower. It helps promote sleep and helps ease symptoms of anxiety, irritability, agitation, and depression. Boil it in some water and add sugar if you want. It actually tastes really good though."

His eyes soften, sitting up. "Sorry, I'm just tired...Do you think you could stay with me for a bit while I sleep? Just 'till Mitsuhide comes?" "Oh, yeah, sure." "That's lovely." And then he drops dead asleep into my lap. A simple thought came to my mind.

Shit, I'm out of tea...And I forgot to bring paperwork...

-----

~A Few Hours Later~

"Zen, get up," Kiki said, shaking Zen awake. "Hm? Where's Akemi?" "Mitsuhide took her home a little while ago." "I see...," he says. He lays his hand down, bumping into a silver dagger, as well as a book. "Huh, I guess she left this..."

A strong voice belted out, "Greetings, Your Highness. Please pardon me for interrupting your rest." Zen sits up straight, laying the dagger and book in his lap and Kiki bows her head. 'It's nothing, "Zen answers, "Come in, Lord Haruka."

"You think meeting with civilians is...careless?," Zen repeated. I guess he doesn't know that Akemi's a princess. "You must remember the gravity of your position. You are a prince. It is imperative of those who you choose to associate yourself with," Haruka says. "I need to protect myself and preserve my authority. Trust me, I get it." Zen lifts his head up from the book, careful whilst walking up the stairs.

"If you do understand, then stop inviting commoners like that strange red haired girl and the aggressive black haired one into the castle." "Are they a problem," Zen says, still flipping through the book. "They'll have expectations and take advantage."

Kiki opens the door, tucking a green folder under her arm, allowing Zen and Haruka to walk into the room.

"What if she asks to meet the King? Or try to exert influence in royal matters? And what if these girls demand special privileges? They'd use the power of the crown to further herself rather than by advancing by her own strength! It's unwise to keep that kind of company! You stand to gain nothing from it all but criticism and undue conflict."

Zen shuts the book firmly, turning his head. "You believe they wouldn't use their own strength to advance?," he asks, lifting the book, "I disagree."