12 Dose Of Reality

For the first time since Essence opened her eyes she felt the pain of what Banko had done to her. The pain killer’s wore off and no longer gave the feeling of comfort. The medication made her woozy and tiresome within seconds she would be asleep.  The only thing stopping her from paging the nurse for more drugs in her system was her son James. It took her nearly getting beaten to death for her baby daddy Reggie to to allow her to spend time with their son so for now she fought through the pain.  

“Come on lil man I think it’s time to let your mama rest.”

“No Reggie I’m fine.” Her voice was dry and she was visibly weak. Essence was far from ‘fine’. She needed to rest. Essence just wasn’t ready for them to leave yet. “Five more minutes.”

“Yeah pop five more minutes.” James was excited to finally spend time with his mother. He loved her despite her being absent for most of his life. Not phased at all by the constant ramblings from his grandmother about Essence being a no good mother who could care less about him.

“I have work in the morning and you have school besides visiting hours ended twenty minutes ago.” Reggie stood from the spot he sat in the far corner of the room. He was already here longer than he intended to. He shouldn’t be here not after everything Essence did. But he showed up out of pity even though she didn't deserve it.

“Will you bring him tomorrow?” She asked hoping he would all while knowing he probably wouldn’t.

“I dont know about that…” Reggie started immediately getting a pleading look from James. “I’ll see…. now come on get your stuff ready.”

Reggie was one of the good ones. She knew that from the moment they met. He had everything going for himself. He had his education and basketball.  Given a full scholarship Reggie was months away from collage months away from entering a new world and realizing Essence wasn’t all that. Her so close to realizing he deserved better. So she stuck him with a baby and eventually played him for guy’s like Banko. Obviously that was her mistake.

Essence decided to wait a few minutes before she asked for anything to numb her pain. Coming to the conclusion that this was her punishment for trapping Reggie only to abandon him and James. She didn’t need her pain eased she needed to come back to reality and get her life together. She deserved to feel pain that’s what she thought until Luther crept his way into her hospital room.

“No...No...no please.” She knew who he was and had a pretty good idea of what the reaper was here to do.

“Shhh.” Luther placed his finger over his lips signaling for her to be quiet he didn't need her to speak only listen. silent tears fell down her cheeks as she squeezed her eyes shut “A officer will be coming tomorrow to ask you about your.” He paused looking a still badly bruised and swollen Essence up and down. “..your incident. I need you to keep Banko out of it.”

Essence opened her eyes in shock. So he wasn't here to kill her?

“Keep Banko out of it!?” She opened her legs for him, kept his drug problem a secret and he beat the shit out of her. Essence wanted to bury him that’s what she planned to do before this moment. Before she knew that meant Luther would be a problem. Her body would be cold before Banko see’s his day in court.

He handed her a check her eyes widened at the amount of zero’s. Money was always her language “Payment for your troubles.” Luther spoke again. “There is more where that came from this if Banko receives no fallout from this.”

“And if he does!?” The words slipped from her lips before she could even attempt to hold them back.

Luther stood tall. “Then I will return and my second visit wouldn't be this pleasant.” With that being said he left. Vanishing from Essence’s hospital room as if he never even been there.

______________________________________________________________________________

Luther usually felt pleasure in putting fear in the eyes of others but showing up like this gained him no satisfaction. In his eyes Banko deserved punishment for this. It reminded him of all the time’s DeAngelo put his hands on Viola. All the times Luther forced himself to say nothing…. to do nothing. Luther was only coming to Banko’s aid because of Carter. If Banko went down there was no telling how deep the investigation will go there was no telling how much of what Essence knew. Luther would not see his son suffer in any way because of this.

Funny how after all theses years he looked out for Carter out of guilt he felt after killing DeAngelo only to find out now that Carter was always his. His blood His son. After some time alone Luther had come to peace with the fact that he had a son. Only question was would Carter ever be. Carter is at the status he is today because he wanted so badly to top his “father” thats what gave him drive living up to a legacy he believed to be his own.

_____________________________________________________________________

Everyone got word that Luther made sure Essence wouldn’t speak Banko’s name Nate already made sure no evidence could possibly be traced back to him he was free and in the clear. But Carter wanted Banko to lay low at least for a little longer too bad Banko wanted to celebrate. Even if that meant doing it by his damn self.

“who the fuck does Carter think he is?” Banko questioned loudly to the stripper that was currently sitting on his lap. “Who he think I am? That nigga want me hiding in the shadows like a damn teenage mutant ninja turtle?!”

Orlando’s was the last place he should be. Yet here he was drunk acting a fool he wasn't high though Banko came to the foolish conclusion that it was the cocaine making him gay. He could no longer say to himself that when he called out Carter’s name it was an innocent mistake. He now thought of Carter in ways that made him ashamed to call himself a man. He caught himself blushing at the thought of Carter. His manhood growing hard at the sound of Carter’s voice. He figured if he stopped sniffing the white stuff it would put a stop to the madness.

_________________________________________

“I think you should call somebody he’s really drunk.” Mimi one of the new Dancers stopped by the bar to tell Kali.

Kali whipped down the bar looking toward the spot where Banko sat. “He’d pass out eventually.”  Security were too afraid to kick him out so they did nothing letting him over drink and roughly grope on the dancers. Kali thought about it- if he passed out Orlando would have her stay later to call him a cab. He shouldn't have come here anyway. The audacity of that woman beating bastard. He was getting away with what he did to Essence and was making a mockery out of the situation by showing up here probably eyeing his next victim. Taking a deep breath Kali moved from behind the bar and walked toward Banko.

“I think you had enough. It’s time to go. should I call you a cab?” She spoke as quickly and politely as her attitude would let her.

Banko looked up at Kali his jaw flinching. Since when did she think it was okay to speak to him? “What?”

“You have had one too many and I feel its time for you to leave.” She stood her ground even though she now knew what he was capable of.

Banko stood flexing in attempt to scare her. “Well I don't feel like I’m ready to go!”

“Fine I’ll just call Carter I’m sure one of he will gladly come by to keep you company.” She didn't want to call him they haven't spoken since she broke things off but if she had to call him to get Banko out of here she would.

“Listen here you little bitch!” Banko stepped closer to Kali. “Don't think cause you're carrying my boi’s child that gives you any right to boss me around I do what I want when I want you!” He grabbed his jacket and pushed pass Kali and left the club.

Kali was caught off guard. Carrying his Boi’s child?  The thought of her being pregnant did cross her mind. But she thought she was over thinking things… she’s been doing that a lot lately so she didn't give it a second thought. She was always sleepy or hungry nothing was fitting all the signs were there and she chose to ignore them. “Im pregnant?”