6. on the run

The few cars daring the storm that late pulled over at the wailing sirens of the SUVs, as Deer's car speeded up heading east

The few cars daring the storm that late pulled over at the wailing sirens of the SUVs, as Deer's car speeded up heading east. While Brock drove with both hands on the wheel and his scowl fixed on the car, barely a hundred yards ahead, Gillian sat up to check the GPS.

"If he turns left at the next—"

"Hold on," Brock grunted, as he swerved to the left.

Gillian grasped the dash as she said over the radio, "I think he's going to the shed! T, alert the locals! Fred!"

"Taking the Interstate," Fred replied.

Brock nodded to himself. The car couldn't go much faster down the dirt Trail, so the other SUV had a good chance to go all the way around to show up from the north.

Gillian's guess was right, and only a couple of minutes later Brock followed the car into the Flatwoods Trail. Both vehicles were forced to slow down as they bumped into the road, full of puddles and pot holes.

"Two officers at the shed," said Tanya then. "They've been alerted. Three cruisers on the way as backup."

"We're outta the Interstate," said Ron.

"We're still half a mile away from the shed," replied Gillian.

Brock tried to dodge as many puddles and holes as he could, but they still swayed inside of the SUV. The car, being smaller, had it easier to find a way through the obstacles.

"He's getting away!" said Gillian.

"We only need to keep him in sight," Brock replied through clenched teeth. "How far to the shed?"

Gillian tried to check the GPS, but a sudden swerve pushed her back. Before she could sat up again, Brock brought the SUV to a sharp stop on the shoulder of the road. In the thick rain the SUV headlights pierced through, she spotted the car pulled over up ahead and the blurry shadow running for the woods.

"Hurry up, lads! He's left the car!" she said on the radio, as she unbuckled her seatbelt and wore her rain jacket.

"We're three minutes away." Ron said.

That's eternity, thought Brock, as he jumped out of the SUV, Glock and flashlight in hand. Gillian was about to circle the vehicle to join him when a gunshot from the woods forced her to crouch down.

"Agent Brockner?" she whispered, retreating to take cover behind the SUV.

"Quiet!" he replied, opening the door to use it as a shield.

Another shot echoed under the first trees. Now Gillian was able to locate where it came from, so she straightened up and fired.

"Cover me!" Brock said.

She heard him run to the trees, returning Reed's fire. The third shot came from a different direction, further into the woods.

"He's moving!" she warned Brock, hating the clatter of the rain on the SUV, which didn't allow her to hear anything else. She fired again, to keep Reed focused on her, but nobody answered her shot. Then she spotted the headlights approaching.

"He ran into the woods!" she said on the radio.

She saw a fleeting beam of light under the trees and a gunshot sounded up ahead. Shit! Reed was shooting Brock! Brock shot back, as Gillian circled behind the SUV to get closer to the trees. Up ahead, Fred pulled over with his headlights pointing at the woods.