9. busted

Russell found the remaining of the team at their office, rather puzzled at the absent female element around

"Hey, Russ," said Ron when he walked in. "Any idea where the girls might be?"

"That's why I'm here," Russell replied. "Reg needs to talk to you, guys, but she doesn't want Cooper to see her around. She's waiting for you at my office."

Hank watched the news on the plasma, mug in hand, and looked down at them. "You go. Kurt and I should stay here."

"Good idea," said Fred. "So we don't catch Cooper's attention."

Russell, Ron and Fred walked out of the office and headed to the elevators, literally commenting on the weather. Until a dry voice from behind stopped them.

"Agent Coleman."

They wore their best poker faces to turn around. Cooper stood by Helen's desk, and she looked more pissed at the universe than usual.

"Tell Gillian to see me before she leaves." Her tone suggested nobody would like the tacit 'or else...'

Fred and Ron nodded and moved to resume their way, but Russell sighed. To their surprise, he said, "If you have a moment, maybe you should join us, ma'am."

They had no chance to ask any question about the invitation, because Cooper traded a word with her assistant and stalked across the office to join them.

Gillian waited for them at Brock's office. She thought it was almost obvious when she saw Cooper come in instead of Hank. Brock was sitting behind his desk, and waved for them to sit down as well. Cooper took an armchair, facing him and Gillian, who stood by the modular. The other three declined to take a seat.

Brock met Gillian's eyes for a heartbeat when she grabbed her coffee. He hoped she'd get it tried to be an encouraging look. She looked away to face the others.

"Lads, Al, T and I won't be coming until next week," she said. "We're taking the week—"

Cooper cut her off. "What are you working on, Gillian?"

Okay, no beating around the bush. The Iron Lady didn't buy the need-a-break ruse anymore.

"Irene Graff."

Cooper's scowl could make Brock's feel like a smile, but Gillian held her drilling stare without a blink.

"She died trying to find her baby, ma'am. And I think we've found out why they took it away from her."

"Took away?" Ron repeated. "Didn't she give the baby for adoption?"

"She wanted to keep'im. Her mother alleged she wasn't in shape to take care of the baby and signed the papers for her."

Fred frowned. "The same mother who lied to say Irene was a hopeless junkie, who was too high to remember who got her pregnant."

"Exactly."

"And why would she do that?"

Gillian breathed deep and met Cooper's eyes again. "Because Irene was being abused, and her abuser is the father of her child. He decided the child was to be given away to cover up the whole 'incident'. He had Irene's mother sign the papers so his name wouldn't be listed on any legal document concerning the child."

Everybody but Brock stiffened around her.

"You mean Irene's mother knew about it?" Ron didn't hide his incredulity.

"Yes, Irene's abuser is an adult from her family or the family's close circle. I hope we'll have something more specific next week, when the child's DNA test is complete."

"What evidence do you have to sustain your theory?" asked Cooper, winter feeding on her voice.

"So far, only Irene's online journal. Miles is going through it, and I'm confident she'll find information we can pursue to obtain real evidence."

"Such as?"

"She started this journal under another name because her shrink told her to do it. According to Irene, it'd help her vent out and, at the same time, turn everything she was going through into something that happened to somebody else—that's why she used this particular alias, alluding to a woman with a dissociative disorder who displayed different 'personalities' that didn't know each other."

"If her therapist knew about the abuse, he or she had to report it," said Russell. "It's mandatory."

"T's searching, but we've got nothing so far. Irene started this blog six years ago in DC, but there's no molestation report on her name over the last eight years. It'll take us a while. We don't have the therapist's name and there are lots of shrinks in DC."

Fred nodded. "Alright. What d'you need us to do?"

Gillian flashed a tight smile. "Don't worry. So far, we've got it covered."

"Morris, Bellison, go back to your office," said Cooper before they could argue. "Coleman, go with them."

The three of them faced Cooper as if she'd spoken in tongues. They turned to Gillian, expecting her to say something against Cooper's order. But she said, "I'll keep you up, lads."

Cooper looked up, both hands resting on the armrests, and waited like a queen on her throne for them to walk out.