18. truce

A man came out of the building when they reached the door, so they just walked in

A man came out of the building when they reached the door, so they just walked in. The old elevator took them to the third floor. Cassidy pulled the door open and let his companion walk out.

The man set foot on the hall and halted with a jolt. From inside the booth, Cassidy heard his curse, saw him raise his hands and hurried out. To find Fred's rifle and Hank's Glock pointing at their chest.

"Open your jacket," Hank said.

"C'mon, it's me," grunted Cassidy.

The answer was soft clicks as they cocked their guns. Cassidy's friend unzipped his jacket and opened it at the speed of light.

"Your jacket, Cassidy," Fred repeated, in a low voice that sent a chill down the stranger's spine.

Cassidy rolled his eyes but did as they asked. "Happy? Can I see that balky Irish now?"

Fred nodded at Cassidy's chest. "Open your shirt."

"What!?"

"We need to check you're not wired," Hank replied.

"Jesus Christ, guys! What the hell!"

Fred glanced at Hank, and kept his rifle up as the biochemist lowered his Glock and strode to the other men. He patted their chests and backs and nodded at Fred. The sniper lowered his rifle a couple of inches and stepped aside, giving them way to Gillian's apartment.

Cassidy's friend still worked on swallowing his heart when Cassidy opened the front door, swearing under his breath, and halted again. Because inside the apartment he faced two more Glocks aiming at his chest. Gillian stood between the door and the couch, while Ron was before the table, where Kurt and Tanya sat.

"C'mon, Gillian! Cut the shit already!" he snarled.

Fred opened the door wide behind them. "They're clear. No guns, no wires," he said.

Gillian narrowed her eyes fixed on Cassidy. He snorted and pointed at his companion.

"This is Stanley Palas. He works with the AG office, and he's here to hear what you've got on Graff."

"Let me see an ID," Ron replied.

The man produced his wallet with slow moves and took out his driver license. Ron stepped up to take it and back to give it to Tanya. Cassidy rolled his eyes again with a loud huff as the girl typed on her computer and compared the license with something on her screen. Fred and Hank came into the apartment and closed the door, flanking it.

"S. Palas, thirty-nine," Tanya said. "Graduated from Georgetown Law School. Works for the Department of Justice since 2006. He's in the Attorney General's inner circle, and his expertise is corruption on the Hill. He's failed to pay the allowance to his ex for the last two months, but he's bought a new car six weeks ago. He's up to date with his mortgage. Looks like he's dating a colleague from the AG staff, despite they're not allowed to."

The man gawked at Tanya as Cassidy faced Gillian again and arched his eyebrows.

"I'm not here to fight, Gillian. I brought Stan 'cause he can help you make your case more solid. And if you're not lacking any vital evidence, he can get the court process started first thing tomorrow, while you're facing the brass."

"And now, all of a sudden, you feel like giving us some credit," said Ron, his voice oozing bitter irony.

"I took a look at what you have, Bellison. And I'll be damned if I let them drag me down over this shit."

"Politics." Gillian's only word lashed like a slap on Cassidy's face.

The Section Chief shrugged. "I'm trying to be honest here. Thought you'd appreciate it."

She scoffed. "Appreciate it?"

Palas dared to take a step to stand by Cassidy's side. "Look, I'm here 'cause I'm interested. I've had Graff on my scope for years, but I never found anything that would stick on him. If you can help me bring that son of a bitch to court..."

Cassidy pressed a little further. "So? Truce?"

Gillian breathed deep, still glaring at him. And lowered her Glock.