11. cool

Gillian saw Brock stride across the street and stretched out to open his door

Gillian saw Brock stride across the street and stretched out to open his door. He got in behind the wheel with a stormy scowl, started the engine and stepped on the gas.

"Andrea and Connor are fine," Gillian repeated. "Hank's watching the apartment's hall and Ron will be there in a couple of minutes."

"Anything on the car?" Brock grunted through clenched teeth.

"Fred's following it. T got the name of the owner and she's looking for any association with Graff's circle."

Brock nodded as he produced his phone. He didn't slow down to make a call. "Graff's just threatened my daughter and Gillian's son. I've got it on tape," he snarled, and disconnected.

His phone buzzed a moment later, but he didn't pick up. Gillian grabbed hers, knowing she was next. And she was.

"Where are you?" asked Cassidy.

"We're on our way back to my apartment," she replied, a hand on the dash as Brock swerved around a corner.

"I'm sending details to your places now."

"You better." She disconnected and glanced over her shoulder. "Kurt, email a copy of the audio file to Cassidy and Cooper."

"Got it."

"Forward it to the Deputy Director," said Brock. "You'll find his address—"

"I've got it, sir."

Ten minutes later, Brock's car screeched to a sharp stop before the building where Gillian was staying. Ron stood at the door, gun in hand against his leg.

"All clear," he said when they jumped out of the car.

"A detail's on the way," said Gillian. "As soon as they're here, you and Hank go join Fred."

"Who's sending the detail?"

"Cassidy."

"We're not going anywhere, Reg. Fred will call if he needs us."

"Good," said Brock, anticipating Gillian.

At the third floor, they found Hank's Glock pointed at the elevator. He lowered it when they showed up. They traded a quick nod with him and hurried into the apartment.

As soon as they walked in, they understood Andrea and Connor didn't know what was going on. They played a game on the TV in the living area. Tanya's look warned them to keep their mouths shut.

"Al called a while ago," the girl said, while Kurt brought his equipment to the table. "They have news."

Gillian nodded with a deep breath. "I need coffee," she said, and her casual tone took Brock aback. "Connor! Your mother needs coffee!"

"Tell'er to call a delivery!" the boy replied from the couch.

"I'll do it!" Andrea jumped to her feet with her bright grin. "A tea, Dad?"

Brock forced himself to keep from grabbing her and holding her tight, and tried to sound as normal as Gillian.

"Sure, thanks."

Connor paused the game when Andrea went to the kitchen, and turned on the couch in time to see Gillian show her phone to Brock and nod at her room. Brock followed her.

"Isn't that your bedroom, Mom?"

His words froze Andrea, Tanya and Kurt, making them turn around to look at Gillian and Brock.

Gillian glanced at Andrea. "Cover your ears, dear," she said, and turned to her son. "Yes. It's my bedroom. And we're both consenting adults. Any problem about that?"

Brock really hoped he didn't blush as fast and furious as Connor did, while the others giggled.

"Mom!"

"You asked. Now let us work."

Brock still scowled when she waved for him to walk into her room. The others kept laughing as she closed the door. But Gillian's smile vanished the moment they were out of sight. Brock had to admit she was an expert at pretending everything was fine in front of their children.