7. look away

Covered behind a big tree, Brock risked a glance

Covered behind a big tree, Brock risked a glance. The scant light beaming through showed him the dark figure by another tree, twenty yards ahead. Gillian fired then and Brock noticed she wasn't by the SUV anymore, but already at the edge of the woods.

"Stay back, Gillian! I've got him!"

"Take your aim, sir!" she replied.

She fired and Brock saw the shadow duck and turn. Damn Gillian! She opened fire again from the same spot. Brock fought back the cold burning his chest, stretched out his arm and exhaled. His bullet hit the man's leg, throwing him off balance but not down. Reed staggered and scampered away through the thickets.

Brock ran after him, praying not to trip on a root and fall. He heard muffled sounds to his right, catching up with him.

"He's coming our way," said Fred.

Gillian knew that tone, dead cold. "Stop, sir!" she said, panting. And cursed under her breath when she heard Brock didn't do it.

"He's hurt! Don't kill him!" Brock hissed on the radio.

Gillian showed out of nowhere and reached out, tugging at his arm to force him to stop. Three gunshots echoed only a few yards away.

"Got'im," Ron said.

Brock got rid of Gillian's grasp and ran again.

"Shit!" she growled, and followed him.

Ron's flashlight led them to find the man down, face to the ground as Fred cuffed him. Ron pulled at Reed's belt, to use it to stop a thick bleeding from his thigh.

Gillian dodged Brock to crouch by Reed's head. "Where's the baby?" she asked.

The man ignored her, moaning as Ron fastened the belt around his leg. So she grabbed his hair and pulled his face up roughly, her voice a lashing threat.

"Speak! Was there a baby in the white Gol with the girl?"

The man tried to get rid of her clutch as he groaned again, but she pulled harder.

"Was there a baby!"

"Gillian, stop!"

Brock tried to go to her and Ron materialized in his way, cutting him off. Behind Ron, Fred leaned to Reed's leg and the man let out a cry.

"Louder!" she snarled.

Brock tried to take a step and scowled down at Ron's hand, flat against his chest.

"Go back to your car, Brockner."

"Speak!" demanded Gillian.

"Lawyer..." Reed mumbled, and the word turned into another cry.

"Step back, Bellison."

Any wise mortal would've obeyed Brock's furious growl. Ron arched his eyebrows, at the brink of a smirk—or what?

There was a muffled thud, like a kick, and another cry.

"Yes or no!"

"Lawyer...!" howled the man.

"Son of a bitch!"

"Reg! You there?"

Russell's voice over the radio stopped Brock from trying to push Ron aside—and probably end up fighting with him.

"Reg, Irene's baby wasn't with her," said Russell. "You better come back to Poole's house."

"WHO'S THERE!"

"You go, guys," said Ron. He met Brock's eyes with a warning glance and turned around to meet the locals coming from the shed. "FBI! DON'T SHOOT!"

Brock clicked his tongue and hurried away, back to the SUV. But he reached the Trail only in time to see the other SUV drive away.