The way things work.

This one is a bit short because it's not that important, but it is still relevant so I made it a quick read.

~Time skip brought to you by not knowing what that machine did~

"I woke to the sound of scratching and meowing at my door.

"Fuck off." I moaned. "I'M NOT FEEDING YOU. I'm really just hoping you'll die."

"FEED HER, YOU BITCH." Aunt Charlotte howled up the stairs.

I rolled of my bed with an even louder moan, grabbing my boots as I yanked open my door to reveal the pest that made living here a chore. Aunt called her Bubbles. Mainly because Powerpuff Girls, but also because when she adopted her she jumped into the kitchen sink and was covered in soap bubbles. Stupid thing. Kicking her aside, I strolled downstairs to meet my aunt, but to my surprise she was already standing at the foot of them. Her left hand was on her left hip and her head was slightly tilted to the right. Shit. What had I done now.

"[Y/N], I'm going to bed. Take out the bins and feed Bubbles." I frowned, confused by her standing, brushing It off as I passed her off the last step.

WHACK.

"Ouc-" I began.

"AND DON'T TELL BUBBLES TO FUCK OFF!" She interrupted. "NOW DO AS YOU'RE TOLD OR I LOCK ALL THE BLOODY DOORS AND YOU'LL BE STUCK IN HERE WITH US FOREVER!"

She stepped of the last step and went to her room, slamming the door shut behind her. I rubbed the back of my head with my hand, I swear she could kill a man with her slaps. I saw a small movement in the corner of my eye and was greeted by Bubbles sitting on the fifth step with what could only be described as a mocking smile and her head held high. I stuck out my tongue to the foul thing and slumped over to the kitchen for the cat food.

"Crap." I forgot it. "Looks like it's fish for you today."

I grabbed my hand-made spear and headed through the backdoor to the garden. It was now almost 9pm and the night was in full bloom, pitch black sky with only moonlight as a source of light. But living in the middle of fuck-all-nowhere in England has it's perks too I guess, despite what people said, and on nights like this, it was easy to see why. Okay so my boots don't exactly have much longer left in them and my socks have more holes in them than the film Holes, so it was freezing enough without having to dip a toe in the ice-cold pond. I held it perfectly still for a while and waited.

Nibble

Splash!

I stabbed the fish dumb enough to think I was food. It flailed around on the spear for a while as it slowly died. Bloody thing got my face all wet. I placed it on the ground for a while as it wriggled and I slipped my sock back on. I trudged back inside, dropping the dead fish in Bubble's cat food bowl and cleaning up the blood on my spear, hands and face. God, I looked like shite. But hey, I have a scarf to cover my greasy hair, goggles to cover the bags under my eyes and gloves to cover my dirty fingernails. Just one thing missing. I trailed the whole house but what I was looking for was nowhere to be seen. I picked up the couch pillows, and looked in all the kitchen cabinets, even the fridge! I sometimes left them in there. I was about to yell out to aunt but I noticed the cat dragging around black, round lensed glasses. Fucking cat.

I grabbed its tail and yanked them from its mouth. 'One day it'll die, or I'll just kill it' I thought.

I grabbed my keys, my phone, headphones, and the extra coins from the hallway bowl and headed out.

The cold night's air was just right for December, it wasn't raining but it wasn't snowing, and the ground was covered in ice. The moon reflected from every surface; it shone with such a brightness that it almost made me forget that my hands were blue from frostbite. The town was much quieter in the dark, there was less noise, and less bustling human trafficking. I smiled a little at the sight of such a calm street before tugging on the sleeves of my jacket and stuck in my headphones. Oasis, "Don't look back in anger", perfect for the feeling of the night. I sang along and waltzed on down to the bar.