Nine.

Daryl's POV

I've been trying to find Mya for almost a month now. I haven't found anything, I don't want to lose hope. I need to keep looking, or else our daughter won't have a mother growing up and I'll have lost the love of my life. I was following her tracks for almost a week, going back and forth trying to figure out the clues. They led to tire tracks but the tire marks only led into a small town. I miss her so much. I just want us to all be back together again. I kept going back to that small, run-down town because I knew, I just knew there was more clues here. There had to be. She couldn't have just vanished from here. I look at my surroundings for the millionth time. Rundown buildings, trees, abandoned cars, all in the same places they were yesterday. I can feel the anger building, pulsing through my body. It makes no sense! None at all. How is she just gone?

No.

She's not gone. She is going to come back. I will make sure of it. Wherever she is, I will find her. And I will torture and kill the sons of bitches that took my Mya away from me.

Distant groans distract me from my revenge plotting. I run towards the closest building and hop through the broken window. I duck down so my body is out of sight but I'm still able to see what is coming down the road from both sides. As time passes and the groans get louder I see a herd of walkers. That's not all, there's people on horses next to them with chains and ropes tied to the walkers. Behind the herd is an old blue ford pickup, a Jeep, and a military vehicle. What the hell is this. The whole convoy stops in the middle of the street, giving me a full view of all of their people and equipment.

"This was the town, no? Or was it the next one up?" A guy asks from one of the horses backs. He has long brown hair and a dark beard. He's holding the reins in one hand and has a chain in the other. A guy steps out of the passenger side of the Jeep and walks up in front of the herd, he kneels down looking at something . . . The tire tracks. What the hell.

"Yeah. It was this town," he pauses as he follows the tracks with his eyes. He finally stands up. "Alright, everyone start searching. She had a bag obviously. Even if she didn't mention it. Couldn't have been out here alone without supplies." The rage inside me multiplies. They are taking about Mya. They have to be.

As the group searches around the area I think back to the bag they were talking about. It probably had ammo, a few food portions and a map. With the prison circled. Glenn just had to circle it and mark where we were, probably because he thought we were all to stupid to know how to get back. If they find that bag, they have a direct line to our camp. Who knows what this groups intentions are. They could release their herd of walkers on the group. They could kill everyone there and take the place for themselves. They could take the women and children and, do the same things as they are . . . No. I need to stop thinking this. The town is far away from the prison, they won't find it. I will make sure of that.

I know Mya wouldn't have just left her things in plain sight, especially if she knew someone was following her. She's smart that way. I look around to where she would've hidden it.

"You all better find that damn bag. It's here, I know it. I want what is mine back." An older guy with dark hair and a scruffy face says to the group. He seems to hold power over these people. Must be their leader. He wants something from Mya's bag. She must've picked something up that means something to this prick.

As I'm watching the man a sparkling in the tree behind him catches my eye. My heart speeds up, it's the necklace I found and gave to Mya a while back. I stare at the silver dangling from the tree. Smart girl, my smart girl. She must've been in that tree trying to hide from them. I hold my breath as the guy walks toward the tree. No. Do not be smart enough to see it. Don't look up. The man sighs and kicks at the dirt on the side of the road then turns around.

"We've got to get back. Boss doesn't want us gone for long. Wants us back to plan the next attack on the group holed up in that school. We'll pick up this search tomorrow. Let's go." He swings his arm motioning for everyone to turn around. I let out a sigh of relief. I stay in the spot I'm in and wait for these people to disappear from my line of sight. I jump out of the window and crouch down just in case someone is looking back in this direction. I slowly make my way towards the road then I take off running towards the tree. I swing my crossbow over my shoulder and start climbing.

Once I get to a big enough branch, I position myself so I can reach the bag. I grab her necklace and put it in my shirt pocket and button it closed so I can give it back to her once I get my girl back. I keep digging around her bag and my fingers run across something fuzzy, I clutch it and pull it out. It's a pink teddy bear. She must've been bringing it back for Haileigh. A lump forms in my throat. God I miss her. I dig once more into the bag to try to find what that man was talking about. My hand finds something small, I pull it out and it's a necklace. No, a locket. I open it up and find a picture of a woman. She has the same resemblance to Mya. Same eyes and hair color. It's her mom. My thoughts go back to the day Mya saw her mom as a walker against the fence. Why would this guy being looking for a locket with a picture of Mya's mom in it?

—————————————————————————
AN:

Oh my gosh!! I've been locked out of this account for sooo long. I doubt anyone is still reading my story.. but I guess if you are, here is part 9 of the Redneck sequel!