S I X

Draco shifted uncomfortably under everyone's gaze, but managed to stay calm. Well, as calm as you could get in a situation like this.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I'm Draco Malfoy, and I'm the lucky one who got to be the Best Man. Big mistake, Blaise. Now, before I start I want to warn you, I Googled the perfect Best Man speech, but you had to pay to read the examples and I didn't think it was worth it, so I'm just gonna wing it.

"Blaise, well he has been one of my best friends since the day I met him. Sure, he can be a right foul git sometimes, but he has always been there for me. Ginny on the other hand. Well... I kind of had a reason to completely despise her. Now I know what you're thinking. Despise Ginny Weasley - now Zabini - is that even possible!? Well no, unless you've played a quidditch match against her."

Draco had already gotten many good laughs out of the crowd, even Hermione was having trouble hiding her smile and tiny giggles. Blaise and Ginny were actually listening for once, smiling at him. Blaise smirked and had an expression that said, 'just you wait until you get married and I'm giving you a Best Man speech'.

"There was even one time that she knocked my best Chaser over here off his broom, leaving him with a broken arm and concussion. Who would have thought that all these years later that they'd be married? I guess it's true then, guys knock the girls they like off a broom." The tent echoed with smattering laughter, even Blaise and Ginny couldn't stop themselves.

"In all honesty though, they really are an amazing couple. They balance each other out perfectly, except when it comes to quidditch. They're both equally obsessed with it. I'm okay with it though, at least it keeps them off my back.

"Blaise, there is no one I would have rather spent my childhood with. Late Friday nights playing video games and eating more pizza than we probably should have. We've been through everything together. School, girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, weird phases that I don't even want to bring up.

"And Ginny. I've only known you for a few years, and even then you spend more time with Blaise than me, because, well come on, that would be really weird. But still, I know that you are a very strong and independent young women who truly deserves the best, so, sorry you ended up with your husband.

"It may have taken you both, what? Twelve years to admit I truly am the Best Man? Still it is an honor. And before I ask you all to raise your glasses to the new Mr. and Mrs. Zabini, there is a question I would like to ask someone very special to me. I hope you all won't mind."

Draco turned away from the crowd to face Hermione who had a smug smile plastered to her face. He guess she liked the jokes too. Come one Draco, he though. Don't wimp out now. You're already this far. He took Hermione's hand from her lap and used it to pull her up to standing with him.

"What are you doing?" she asked, just above a whisper. Draco didn't respond, just stared into her eyes for a moment. He want to remember them if this didn't go well.

Hermione's eyes widened as Draco started to move, her mouth falling slightly agape. Draco bent down, getting onto one knee, kneeling before her. Hermione was speechless though nearly everyone else in the room gasped. Draco swallowed hard, still holding Hermione's hand with both of his. He let go for a moment to slip the ring out of his pocket, then held it out to her.

"Hermione Jean Granger. When I used to hear your name I'd think of the bushy haired girl that beat me to second place in every class. Now I see a beautiful, strong willed, intelligent, brave, young woman who I'm proud to call a friend.

"Eariler tonight, when you told me about how you felt, I-I didn't know what to think. You always seemed so sure... I guess you're better at hiding your feelings than I am. And not making it to the park that night is my greatest regret. I never did tell you the whole story, but now isn't exactly the right time. Just know that none of it was your fault. You were understanding and always there for me when I needed you, but me? I didn't hold up my end of the line. That's not something I'm happy about.

"Seeing you again, it just... brought it all back. And I guess I took you for granted and decided that you would forgive me. I didn't realize how much I had hurt you and I just wanted us to be okay so much that I assumed we were. And yet you still found room for me, even after all I've done to you. I don't think you'll forgive me and I definitely don't expect that from you.

"I want to thank you too. You've changed me in... more ways than I even know! You make me a better person, Hermione. You keep me sane. You make me me! And I never would admit this to you or anyone else, not even myself, but," Draco looked down and took a breath, then met Hermione's eyes with a bright smile on his face, "Hermione Granger, I'm in love with you. I love your smile, your eyes, your adorable freckles, I love everything about you, I love you. I don't want to live the rest of my life wondering 'what if'. I don't want to live another day without knowing you're mine.

"Which leads me to the question I wanted to ask you." Draco took a deep breath, then continued. "Will you find a way to forgive me? Will you put up with my addiction to coffee and horrible fasion sense? Will you make me smile everyday of my life from now on?

"Will you marry me?"

The room went dead silent as tears streaked down Hermione's face. She used her other hand to cover her mouth which still wouldn't close. Everyone stared at her and Draco who was slowly losing hope.

He knew that he was mental just considering asking her. What was he expecting? At least he would get some closure out of this. He smiled sadly, blinking back his own tears.

The quiet stretched the longer Hermione didn't answer. At first she was too stunned to say anything, but now she just didn't know how to respond. She knew what she wanted, but what was best?

Finally, after what seemed like forever, her hand dropped to her side, her expression unreadable. She met Draco's eyes, and he immediately knew what she was going to say.