E I G H T

Draco didn't need to ask to know that Narcissa Malfoy was standing in front of him. Everyone else knew it too. She, the wife of Lucius Malfoy and sister of Bellatrix Lestrange, was unforgettable.

"Yes, Draco, it's me, your old mum."

Hermione stared at her new in law. She had invited her, due to Blaise's request, but had no idea she would show up. She knew she and Draco were no longer on speaking terms, so this was utterly awkward.

"Well, I, uh, d-didn't know you, um... came," Draco stuttered, frantically reaching for Hermione's hand. She was searching for his too, and when their fingers brushed each other's they took hold and interlaced their fingers tightly.

"Oh, I wouldn't miss it for the world. But, as it seems to be, this isn't the Zabini's wedding anymore, now is it?"

"Mother," Draco started cautiously, but she cut him off.

"I don't need your foolish pleas, son. You of all people should already know how I feel about this." He hung his head, fearing the worst. He thought he knew his mother, but she was a confusing woman. No one ever really knew where she stood. "Miss Granger. A moment."

Hermione looked at Draco fearfully, her hand trembling out of his grasp. He knew she was scared. Hell, he was scared. She didn't know his mother like he did. She didn't know her weaknesses, and, as of the moment, he couldn't tell her.

"If you lay a finger on her," Draco growled.

"I wouldn't dream of it." Narcissa placed her hand on Hermione's shoulder and pulled her away from Draco, towards her. "Why don't we have a little talk outside of the tent?"

Draco's fists clenched at his sides. His mother and Hermione pushed their way through the crowd, though the people had already parted to create a path for them, too scared of the two powerful witches. Blaise laid a hand on his best mate's shoulder, softly pulling him back to where he, his wife, Harry and his fiancee, Pansy, Theo, Luna, Ron, and Kriss stood.

"What is she going to do to her?" Draco whispered the question everyone was asking to himself.

"She's going to be fine," Blaise told him. "Your mother wouldn't hurt her."

"You don't know that," Draco hissed, turning to face the others. "I don't even know my mother anymore. She could do anything."

Mrs. Granger shared the same worry. She was currently being consoled my Molly Weasley's, one of her closest friends. She could tell Molly was upset about Hermione being alone with Draco's mother, but she sucked it up for her.

The blood was draining from Draco's face fast and he was turning pale with worry. He finally, just for a moment, had everything he wanted. Hermione, Blaise, the wedding of his dreams, but now? Now that was all just about ruined. Because of his own mother.

"Draco, she's okay," Pansy said, rubbing her near brothers arm. He didn't look convinced at all, tears raising in his eyes. Pansy had never seen him like this, not even after his father was killed or his mother stopped talking to him. Hermione must mean a lot to him.

"He doesn't look too good," Harry pointed out. "Maybe we should sit him down." Blaise nodded and lead Draco to a seat. He kneeled beside him, taking a glass of water off the table and offering it to his friend. Draco took it and gulped greedily at it. He was holding onto Blaise's arm for support and gave it a thankfully squeeze.

Blaise didn't move though. He made it a point to stand, well, in this case, kneel by his friend, to be there for him, to start to make up the two years he had lost. Pansy held Draco's shoulder, feeling how hot he was, even through his clothes. She had nothing to make up for, but had been friends with Draco longer than even Blaise. She was his sister and she wasn't going anywhere.

"Hey! They're coming back!" someone called from the crowd as people began to part again.

Draco jumped to standing, the others following his lead. His jaw clenched at the sight of his mother but felt a wave of relief wash over him when he caught sight of Hermione. He had to hold himself back from running to her at that moment, he had to stay strong.

The two approached him, his mother releasing Hermione so that she could scramble to Draco's side. He grabbed her around the waist to steady her, as she too was disoriented.

"What happened? Did she hurt you?" he questioned worriedly. She shook her head, he breath to shaky to respond. She wasn't lying either. Narcissa, true to her word, had only wanted to talk so that was all they did.

"See? I told you I just wanted to talk."

"That was one quick talk," Draco resorted. "Too short."

"Oh hush. You're drawing this out much more than it needs to be."

"Mum, stop. You opinion doesn't matter to me anymore, so I'm just going to say it. I don't care if we have your blessing. I don't care if you disown me for this. I don't care if you storm out of here in rage and get yourself locked up in Azkaban for terrorising the city. I love Hermione, and I'm marrying her no matter what you say or how you react."

Narcissa wasn't surprised by her son's words. She knew, just by the look on his face, how he felt. She knew how happy Hermione made him. She knew he loved her and she loved him, something she had only experienced once, and even then it ended badly.

"Draco Lucius Malfoy," she began. "You are a strong, smart wizard, and I know your decisions are usually the right one. And no, your father wouldn't approve, but I'm not him. I'm your mother. And I... I couldn't be happier for you two. Of course you have my blessing."

Then entire tent erupted in applause as Draco's mother welcomed he and Hermione into a warm hug with a huge smile on her face. Draco was still too shocked to say anything, so instead he just laughed and hugged his mother back. Hermione couldn't help but feel a little uncomfortable, but this was her mother-in-law now. She had better get used to it. When they pulled back, Cho didn't hesitate to speak up.

"Well? What are you guys waiting for? Go get married!" she grinned.

Ginny and Blaise slipped off their rings and traded them. "We're ready."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" he asked her, nodding towards the altar.

"Wait, there's still one thing I have to change." Hermione pulled out her wand and pointed it at the picture wall of memories. She muttered a charm and all the pictures changed from Ginny and Blaise to her and Draco. "Now, I'm ready," she giggled, taking Draco's hand and leading him down the aisle.

If you love somebody,Let them go,For if they return,They were always yours,And if they dont,They never were

Let them go,
For if they return,
They were always yours,
And if they dont,
They never were.

The End