Prologue

I would have known that voice anywhere.

I twist and turn, in your arms swirl

The dizzier I get, the clearer I see

With you I'm at peace with the war within..

I made my way through the crowd, joining the pressing bodies of hundreds of people communing to celebrate the music of love, pain, longing. I blindly followed his voice: beckoning, teasing, loving, hurting as he sang his words over a once nameless hum.

I imagined him lost in his art, just as I was lost in this unfamiliar crowd.

Lo and behold baby

These are the things you made me do

Katherine wheel, I'm burning for you.

Please don't stop, until my heart no longer screams

I found myself in front of his stage. Him, holding his microphone, crooning the words out loud as if mocking me and everything that could have been.

What fools we were then.

Here I am, I wanted to scream. Here I am, as I promised. As you have promised me that day, while wearing that loop sided grin born of mischief and a little bit of regret.

Katherine wheel

Katherine wheel

His wandering eyes found mine. Against the blinding spotlight, he had, in some mysterious workings of fate, had found me. He smiled then, that too innocent smile that always held promise.

I'm burning for you.

I smiled back, the traitorous tears flowing unbidden down my cheek.

It was the most beautiful... and painful kind of freedom.