Home

We hailed a cab outside the airport, just as when light snow was falling. Everywhere I looked was covered in snow, which made me feel like inside one of those miniature snow globes. It added to the appeal I suppose; having grown up in California, I was not prepared with the harsh coldness of Helsinki in early January, despite the multi layered winter clothes I was wearing. The cab ride was shared in companionable silence, with Dr Adan asking me about the recent scientific journal I have infamously disproved as well as the current paper I was working on every now and then. I liked the man - he stayed within safe subjects and did not force any conversations. For once, I was in my element again. We were travelling to Oulunkylä, a neighbourhood here in Helsinki and where his sister lives, as from what I've gathered from Dr Adan. He was pointing to local landmarks we passed as to give me a little overview, welcoming me to the city.

The temperature was getting steadily lower when we reached our destination in the quieter part of the neighbourhood of Oulunkylä. We stopped in front of a small two-storey house and we made our way through a path that has been cleared off snow. All the while, I was there looking miserable in the cold, my teeth already chattering like mad just being less than a minute outside and my glasses starting to fog up. He rang the doorbell and as we waited, my gaze fell into some kind of furry creature sitting idly on top of the wall nearest us. Its gaze was eerily fixed on me and its tail slowly wagging behind it. I couldn't help but stare at it as well, realizing it's tabby cat when my eyes adjusted in the darkness. Those green eyes were unblinking, making me feel like it was hunting me or sizing me up. Creepy cat.

The door opened and I turned to face the owner of the house who happened to be a matronly woman with auburn hair pulled back in a bun, the smell of pastry and sugar trailing behind her. She greeted Dr. Adan with a gleeful "Dominik!" before giving him a peck in the cheek and probably commenting if he was eating properly (I only picked up bits and pieces in Finnish, thanks to the crash course I had in the plane). I chanced a glance to see if the cat was still determining if I am worthy to be alive or not, but I was not surprised to find it gone.

"Nővér, I'd like you to meet Dr. Weil, she's one of the visiting professor we have for this year in the Institute", Dr. Adan introduced me and added, a tad proudly, "Quite brilliant, I might add".

I had the sense to look embarrassed and Dr. Adan's sister gave me a once over, probably taking pity on a miserable, shivering youngster in too much winter clothes on. "Todella? Mutta hän on niin nuori...", she said absently as she regarded me thoughtfully. As if remembering, she hurriedly said in English, "Ah! Where are my manners? Come inside, come inside. It's getting too cold out".

We were ushered inside the cozy interiors, with actual fire logs merrily crackling from a fireplace in the living room. She helped me with my coats and scarves and led us to the seats near the fire. I sat in the chair closest to it, thankful for the warmth.

"Oh, I haven't properly introduced myself.", Dr. Adan's sister said, as she was tucking and folding my scarves, "Dominik didn't say anything about bringing in a guest but this is a very pleasant surprise. We don't have much guests nowadays, except for those reporter people every now and then and young women milling outside even in this cold weather...", she trailed off, absentmindedly glancing towards the living room window, probably checking if there were still indeed young women standing about in the cold, for what reasons I cannot fathom.

"My name is Anita. Anita Valo", she said warmly and her hands were equally warm, as she reached out for a handshake.

"Pleasure to meet you, Miss Valo."

"Oh, I like her, Dominik!", she laughed and covered both my hands with hers.

"It's still presently Mrs. Valo, dear. Mr. Valo is somewhere in the house, probably fixing something that doesn't need any fixing".

_____________________

Dinner was a comfortable affair. Mrs. Valo fussed over me, remarking for three times in a row that I should eat a lot to put some meat back to my bones. Mr. Valo was more solemn and quieter than his wife, and asked me polite questions on my field of studies; my doctorate degrees in physics and applied mathematics seemed to impress him. He asked me how I was finding Helsinki so far; I admitted I felt a bit lost but determined that the people were friendly and warm, in which I believed he approved.

Mrs. Valo filled my plate with Kaalilaatikko, a cabbage casserole and gave me a big bowl of Kalakeitto, a fish stew when she learned I was yet to try Finnish cuisine. The food were delicious and I had commented on it rather earnestly, which made Mrs. Valo tut tut adoringly and Dr. Adan looking on like a proud father. In short, the dinner appeared to be a success with me surviving my first social gathering with the Finns.

As we moved to desert (Mustikkapiirakka, a blueberry pie, with vanilla ice cream), the topic of my accommodations in Helsinki was brought up.

"So, Dr. Weil", Mr. Valo started, rather formally, "Dominik here have mentioned that you are still looking for a place to stay?"

I paused midway of putting a large spoonful of the blueberry pie into my mouth, trying to think of the best excuse. Maybe hotel or something? I can still catch a cab right?

I put down my spoon to say something clever from the top my head but Mrs. Valo beat me to it.

"Oh, Kari. We cannot expect a young woman her age to just wander around the city!", she said rather dramatically.

I was surprisingly not offended by that comment and I opened my mouth to reassure her but she turned to face me and said, "I know it's a bit sudden and you haven't known us for long, but you can stay here with us, if you like. You are Dominik's guest after all in this country and our sons have their own places now, the house is large and we got spare bedrooms you can use while you get settled in Helsinki."

Dr. Adan, uncertainty written across his face, answered her, "Your offer is very kind, Anita but Dr. Weil needs to work on her research. She might prefer a different environment, perhaps something closer to the institute?" He looked at me expectantly, waiting for me to support his argument.

"Uhm...", for all the glory of my supposed brilliance, was all I could come up.

"Well", Mr Valo interjected, "Anita is right. You can stay here with us, Dr. Weil while you find a more suitable housing in the city, if you like of course". He also added: "It would be our pleasure to be a host to a brilliant young woman such as yourself".

I weighted the pros and cons of the options offered to me. Staying in a hotel promised privacy but the costs would be too much for my allowance, I don't know anyone yet and short of asking Dr. Adan to chaperone me throughout the city, I would need some guidance as I'm terrible with directions. Also, I liked the Valos. I liked the food. It also felt nice to stay in a home, albeit not mine, even for a short while.

I cleared my throat and carefully, "I wouldn't want to impose but if you'll have me, I'll gladly accept".

The Valos looked pleased at that, even more so Mrs. Valo that she added more blueberry slices on my plate. Dr. Adan looked relieved.

Well, what do you know, my stay in Helsinki might turned out to be not so bad after all.