On Meetings in the Dark (with an angry cat)

I was not a superstitious person, and didn't have plans to become on one in the near future. Between finishing dinner and Dr. Adan leaving shortly afterwards (giving me his home and office number just in case), I was starting to feel like everything had ended up being too smooth, too good to be true for my taste. It felt the beginning of a real life example of Murphy's Law - if there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it. With what will be causing the catastrophe, that will be the unknown. Unknowns made my brain itch.

So I was in a rather pensive mood when Mrs Valo lead me to one of the rooms upstairs, which previously belonged to his eldest son. The room was.. interesting and appeared to be unused for quite sometime. There were posters of musicians hanging on almost all corners of the room, some I recognized due to Erin's rather eccentric tastes in music and clothes – she being a fan of 80s music that she had sported shirts with different musicians all the time. There was a rather unique lamp on top of the side table; it was shaped like those la muerte skulls with what appeared to be some kind of pentagram etched on its forehead. I continued my survey of the room, quite out of my element as the previous owner appeared to be someone dedicated to the occult, arts and music. There was also a vinyl player and records piled up in one corner and the small desk by the window contained torn pages of notebook, music sheets and sketches on subject that appeared to be psychedelic.

The bed was pushed up against the corner of the room and there were pictures taped to that side of the wall. I approached to study them closer: they were pictures of a lanky teenage boy with short dreads (I remember Erin sporting that same hairstyle years ago), probably the eldest son, judging from one of the pictures where he was holding a bass guitar in the same room I was standing in now. There were others taken from what appeared a dingy bar where he and most likely his friends were playing onstage; another with a pretty girl, both holding a beer. Pretty much normal teenage life, which I slightly envied him for.

"Ah, that's my eldest, Ville".

I was a bit engrossed with studying the taped pictures that I didn't notice Mrs Valo entering the room, holding fresh bed covers. She began changing the bed sheets and continued, motioning towards the pictures, "Ville.. he always had a soft spot for music, that boy. He's rather successful now, I think. Perhaps you've heard of him and his friends? They go by the name, His Internal - or was it- Infernal Majesty?"

I shrugged at that, unfamiliar with the name.

"They're traveling Europe now, promoting their music. Always on tour these past few years...", she trailed off, almost wistfully. I sat at the edge of the bed and watched her move about the room, tidying up things as she went. "We have always been proud of our boys", she continued, proceeding to sit on the bed as well beside me as she fold the scattered clothes she collected. "Jesse, that's Ville's younger brother, was into music as well but found his calling with boxing. He's always sporting a broken nose or a black eye when he comes home, back when he was a teenager". She laughed at the memory. "But I'm glad that they are now both doing something they are passionate about. Though Ville's still disappointing his father by not getting his professional driver's license". Another soft laughter.

"Well, your sons are very lucky to have you as parents, Mrs. Valo", I commented politely.

She beamed at that. "Your parents must be so proud of you as well, with your achievements at such a young age."

I held back a retort to the comment; Mrs Valo was too nice for my sarcastic barbs, which I usually reserved for patronizing interviews. I decided to settle with honesty, seeing that I might be starting a new life here in Finland.

"I wouldn't know", I mumbled. "I never knew my parents; Dr Weil adopted me when I was eight and took me to America. He... he passed away recently."