Chapter 09

*beep*

*beep*

*beep*

Riya was awake the whole night listening to that beep. Not just listening but counting too. Those forty thousand beeps over the night was an evidence that her friend was alive. Hurt, but alive.

"I'm so so sorry aunty, it's entirely my fault. I...I...," She had tried to explain it all to Natasha's mom. But her tears never allowed her to finish a sentence.

Natasha's parents had been considerate enough not to scold Riya. They knew exactly how it happened, the others had told it all. Yet, they never said a word. Maybe they knew that things had gone too far to do that. Because they knew that it didn't matter. None of their angry words were going to drag their daughter out of a coma. She needed care and compassion. And they knew Riya was one of those people who could provide that to her.

*beep*

*beep*

*beep*

Riya added three more to the count. She could see the morning rays peek through a window. A new day was about to begin, yet, there was no change in Natasha's condition. The pace of those beat never changed. And neither did Riya leave her friend's side.

Natasha's parents were just outside the room. They had tried to convince Riya to go home for the night. Even her parents came to check on Natasha and take her back. But Riya would have none of it. She wished to stay by her friend's side.

The whole world might have believed her fake mask, but Riya knew the real reason was different. Rather than care, it was the fear which kept her going. The fear that a beep might be skipped. Fear that her friend would leave her forever. And she couldn't afford that. The doctor had said there was just a five percent chance of survival. But he had also given her hope saying it was a real good one in such cases. However, Riya had never been an optimist. Her mind always thought of the unthinkable. And if it ever happened, Riya wished to be by her friend's side.

That's why she had just held Natasha's hand and sat beside the bed. The entire night.

*beep*

*beep*

*beep*

Forty thousand two hundred and thirty-six. It was her subconscious mind which was doing all the counting now.

She once again glanced over at Natasha. She had never known that girl to be lively or bubbly, but she wasn't used to watching her like this as well. Lifeless. That was the only word she could think to describe Natasha. And the fact was, she could do absolutely nothing about it.

What made it really worse was the realization that it was all because of her. She was the reason Natasha was lying there. She was the one who had troubled her. She was the one who had dragged her along. It was because of her that Natasha skipped a step. It was because of her that Natasha's head banged hard on the wall. The reason why her skull broke.

"No," she got up shouting.

"I'm the worst friend anyone could get. The worst of them all."

***

8th June 2017

"Sometimes, things happen unintentionally. Yet, the realization of it troubles our soul the most."