Chapter 11

'MrAdventure has published a new story'

That notification lit up a spark in her eyes. Though she would have loved another glimpse into the life of Dev and Anjali, she was happy he wrote something. Because at the end of the day, it was his words which mattered.

The Unsent Letters, his title read. As she read the first letter, she could feel his raw emotions. It was something that only the two of them would understand. Others would read it, appreciate it, criticize it, but only two of them could actually see that person behind a writer. Because what MrAdventure shared with her friend was indeed a special relationship.

Hey Stranger,

Do you remember the day we met? Out of the hundreds of people present on the main street that day, you stumbled upon me. You may call it a coincidence, luck, or anything you want. But I know that it was nothing less than magic.

Yes, magic!

Do you know I didn't believe in that word before? As a child, I was watching a magic show when a magician accidentally dropped his hat. Out came a rabbit who hopped around on stage. Everyone else saw a funny side in it and burst out into laughter. But for me, it was a heart-shattering moment. I lost my trust on magic that day. I understood that it was nothing more than a con trick.

And yet when we collided that day, I felt as if that lost magic returned.

Your long black hair shielded your face initially. It was only after you tucked them behind your ears that I could see your bluish eyes. Believe me or not, but I was lost in their mesmerizing beauty. I'd be lying if I say that it was love or anything else. Because we both know it very well. We were just some strangers bound to cross some paths.

Still, it does feel a bit different.

Remember how we whispered a sorry at the same time? And then we shared a goofy smile. If your eyes mesmerized me, your smile drowned me under a wave of happiness. Being a writer, words are supposed to be at my disposal. And yet, I honestly don't have any of them to describe your smile.

A moment later, we were back on the road heading our own ways. But that day, we both found a friend in this crowd. A face amongst many whom we long to see each day.

It's been two months since that day, and believe me, all these mornings after that have been my most pleasant ones. Because every day we've walked down the same street, searching for that friend we met by accident. My eyes search you and yours always find me. And the moment they meet, a beautiful smile spreads across our face. And just like that, we walk off with a promise to meet again.

That smile was the only conversation we had.

And so, one might say that it'd be really easy to forget you when the time comes. But no my friend, no. It was not easy at all.

These last two weeks when you didn't come, only I know what went through me. This feeling, it's strange actually. The reason's simple, I don't know you. I know nothing about you. Hell, I don't even know your name. Then why did I feel that dread when you didn't show up? Honestly, even I don't have an answer to that. I guess it's that strange bond that we share. A bonding which is invisible, and yet, stronger than others.

The reason I'm writing this all today is that you finally showed up today. Yes, after two weeks of drought, you showered your smile on me. And you know what was special about it? Even after all this time, it was the same. Beautiful.

Once again we crossed each other. Once again our eyes found each other. And once again we shared that magical smile. Neither did I ask you a reason for your absence, nor did you tell me anything. We just got a glimpse of each other before heading our own ways again.

If you ask me, that's the exact reason why our relationship is so special. Because it's simple. And none of us have tried to complicate it yet. That's what makes it special.

And when the relationship is as special as this, I think it is allowed to have those silent moments. Sometimes, we'll tread down our own paths, we'll not look at each other or even forget to smile. But at the end of the day, I'm sure we both know how special we're to each other. And that's why, no matter what happens, we'd never break that unsaid promise to meet again.

I don't care what the world says, but you're indeed my magician. Miss magician.

Yours lovingly,
The stranger who smiles back.

As Riya finished narrating the letter, she took Natasha's hand in hers and allowed her tears to flow.

"He really misses you, Nat. Your writer really misses his reader. This letter confirms it."

As she lay her head on Natasha's bed, she sent another message to MrAdventure. Praising him, encouraging him, and asking him to go on.

"Don't worry Nat, I'll keep his fire alive. I won't let your favorite writer die."

Riya didn't know what happened, but those words spread an unknown magic. Because for the first time in over a month, Natasha's finger twitched. After what felt like an eternity, Riya felt her friend's fingers wrap around her own, and hold on.

Hope wasn't lost after all.

***

18th June 2017