Chapter Five - Katherine's first Riverdale Dance

Everything was silent on the way home, after parting with Archie and Betty she found herself thinking about her father. Did he want to not see her? She understood that he needed to get away before the family could lose all their money, but now that Veronica's dad was in prison, why didn't he just come home?

Putting on a fake smile so that her mother wouldn't think anything of it, she opened the door to their new home. Her mother sat on the dull light blue love-seat couch, a laptop rested on her lap. "How was school?" Her mother asked her, after she finished typing something onto the screen she looked up at her. Seeing her daughter in a River Vixen cheerleading uniform made her break into a smile. "Good, I see," her mother basically answered the question she had just asked.

Courtney was use to her daughter coming home and telling her all about the drama that the kids in Chicago started, but she couldn't in Riverdale. She knew none of the kids, and she didn't want her daughter to become friends with anyone. Riverdale was her past, not her daughter's future. To Courtney, this was all temporary, she didn't want her daughter growing up like she did. Sure, they weren't living in the South Side like she once did, but just being around the town felt like a curse.

Just the thought of the South Side gave her chills. The memory of what it was like growing up with the Southside Serpents still haunted her, but back then they were teenagers like her, now they are grown up, and no doubt have grown in side as well. Courtney would do anything to keep her precious daughter away from that kind of crowd. It wasn't just the people that scared Courtney, it was the idea that Katherine would spill the secret once more, this time it may not be as big, but this is the town she grew up in. She would never be free from it if that happened, plus she couldn't imagine what Hermione Lodge, and the Blossom family would do with the information.

The Lodge's and the Blossom's were not strangers either, both had business deals with Nathaniel, her husband. All were extremely illegal, which was the reason he had to disappear in the first place. Whenever Hiram was caught in action, Nathaniel became so afraid that they would find evidence against him as well, it took him no longer then a week to organize his disappearance.

He publicly told the news that he had a business meeting in Bora Bora, even having reporters tape him getting onto his private jet. Nathaniel then continued on with his plan, having the jet drop him off somewhere secretive, then having the jet wreck somewhere into the forest. Since police couldn't find any bodies they believe that he is still out there somewhere.

She knew it was best for the family, if the world found out that the Anderson's were in business with the Hiram Lodge, they would be just as ruined as he is now. So in Courtney's mind, this was the best thing to do. Meanwhile, Katherine didn't understand it at all. She was being lied to, saying that Hiram had a secret grudge against her father, and that he threatened to bring her father down with him. No matter how any times she begged her father to stay, telling him to just go public with the threat, it didn't work. Her father was secretly missing, but the family knew he flew to a house owned by their cousins in Anguilla.

"It was school, I mean, a gross public school," Katherine grimaced, she sat beside her mother after she shut the laptop and placed it on the table. Her mother gave her a weak smile, both of them remember the talk they had whenever Courtney told her daughter that she had to attend a public school. That talk wasn't a good one. "Oh, and I meet Veronica Lodge," Katherine stated, almost like she had forgot the event had happened.

Her mother's smile fell from the smile to a straight line, as she looked her daughter in the eye, she said, "and what happened," she sounded dull, and unamused, but Katherine didn't think anything of it. She knew her mother wouldn't respond well after hearing about the Lodge's. Actually, Katherine thought it was quite interesting that they moved to Riverdale around the same time the Lodge's did.