Chapter Ten - More than just broken bones

"And Sheriff Keller's grilling on me, Mantle the Magnificent," was the first thing that Katherine heard whenever she walked into the student lounge at school. Her last school had something like this, but it was more up together, then again her last school she went to was a private school where only rich families attended. She was in public school now, she couldn't expect the same things here.

Her eyes flickered to Betty and Kevin who were sitting on the couch in the room, she couldn't help but feel bad. Someone was talking bad about his dad, and they could careless that Kevin was right there. Memories from back when she was in Chicago hit her hard after thinking about that.

"Your parents are broke, how are you even in this school still?" Katherine snorted at the girl, her name was Penny, but Avery started calling her Pee-brain since Kindergarten, so it stuck around for a long while. Avery laughed, grinning at her best friend, the two were terrible together, best friends that caused everyone else hell. Their gossip filled mouths couldn't stay shut for longer than five minutes, which was one of the reasons why they seemed to get along so well, neither of the girls had a filter. It was going around school for the last two days, Penny Eliza McGuire was broke. Her parents apparently put everything they had into a business, a business that failed after being successful for four years, and now they were left with nothing. The school was allowing her to finish the year because the McGuire family had donated a lot of their money to help build an addition for the school. Not everyone thought like the school board did, some of the students were beyond upset, some even tried to get their parents involved. Penny didn't even explain why she was still in the school, instead she took off running down the hallways, the clicking of her one inch high heels, the school's dress code shoes, faded away quickly as the young girl rushed away. "Did I ever tell you how much I love you," Avery grinned, giving her best friend a high-five. They were only in 8th grade, yet they sounded like the mean girls of high school.

Three class periods later, the two girls headed to the student lounge, also known as the common room, their middle school wanted to make it appear to be just like high school. 'It's to prepare them,' one of the school board members had explained to their parents. Inside Penny was sitting on one of the single chairs, she was reading a book, no doubt trying to block out the whispers and rumors about her. "You wouldn't believe what my mother had to say about the school taking pity on Pee-brain McGuire," Avery started, looking over at Katherine with a evil glint in her eye. Both of the girls knew what they were starting, they did it all of the time. The two girls knew how horrible it made others feel.

"Oh, I know how your mother is, Gabrielle is such a hoot, but you know what your mother said, but can you imagine the look on my mother's face whenever she found out, wish I would have gotten in on camera," Katherine played along. In reality her mother and father told her that she should be nice to the McGuires, after all what happened to them could happen to anyone. "Please do share, Avie" Katherine smirked at her best friend, both of the girls could feel the attention on them, their peers listening to see what the Anderson's and the Moore's thought about this.

Avery clicked her tongue, while making an exaggerated movement with her eyes, "she claimed that she wanted me out of a school that taught the poor, it's clearly going to mess up our education! She even threatened to call the school, and you know my mother, she wants the best for both of us, she was going to have them remove the hag from the classes we shared with her, but she got so fired up that she had to leave the room! I heard her and my father talking about letting me stay home until they removed the parasite, my father said it wasn't their daughters fault, it was the horrible parents. My father would never ever allow something like that to happen to my family," Avery bragged, she even added a small hair flip.