Blue House on the Rocks

That blue house, it always seemed inviting, and warm. The man who lived there, could hardly, if ever, be seen, except by few.

There were rumors, which spread through the small town, about the man who lives there.

Many said he was an ex soldier, too traumatized by his deeds to show his face, others tried to insult him, calling him names. 

I myself had never met such a man, or woman, in all my years.

I'm here to tell you the truth though, about him. He's not a monster, he's human.

And as humans, we all make mistakes.

But this story isn't one of those times.

- Jasper Ann Colt

     I never enjoyed moving, not that I imagine anyone would, but I particularly, despised moving.

     Maybe I held on to objects too much, or maybe, I had always been fond of my many homes.

     Every place had good and bad memories, and I guess I hoped, that I could leave behind the bad, and remember the good.

     Who knows though, who knows.

     "Jasper? Hun, we need to get moving, if we're going to catch the plane." Jasper sets his pen down and turns to his sister.

     "Right, I uh, I just need to get my suitcases and jacket, then I'll be ready." Erica gives him an unsure look, before turning away to get her daughter.

     Standing, Jasper stretches, then makes his way to his room.

     Gazing upon bare walls, and the room in general, he sighs. "Okay." He murmurs. Taking a few steps forward, he leans down to grab his three suitcases. The smallest one, with straps, he can carry on his back easily, while the other two, have to be pulled.

     "Jasper! Hurry up! We're gonna be late!" Jasper turns to the irritated voice of his sister. "What's gotten into you?" She sets her hands on her hips as she sighs.

     He takes in her expensive business suit. Long brown pants, which lead to her two inch, black, booted heels. She also wears a matching button up, long sleeve overcoat, which hides most of her faded, yellow blouse.

     Her wedding ring still rests on her finger, and her school ring rests on the other hand. He examines her face then, noticing her plain, pearl studs, and the cross necklace his brother bought her for their anniversary.

     "I don't know." He finally replies. "I just, I guess I hoped this would be home." He looks down and away. His eyes rest where his bed once had been.

     "Come on Jasper! It's one game! Come on!"

     Erica sighs heavily, and hangs her head. "I know Jasper, believe me, I know." She looks up at him, with pain soaked eyes. "Come on, don't wanna be late do we?" She gives a light smile and chuckle. "Come." She waves her hand.

     "Alright." He steps forward, allowing her to place her hand on his shoulder as they walk out of the house.

     Jasper stops. "What's gonna happen with the keys?"