Dinner With House Finnegan

"He's sweet." Jasper grabs a paper plate to set over the salad, before walking back out.

"Put me down Elliot!" Olivia cries, squirming in her brother's arms.

"Nevah!" He spins her around twice, before falling down.

Olivia immediately pops up, and runs behind Jasper.

"You can't hide forever!" He mumbles, rolling onto his side. He pushes himself up, and pauses when he sees his sister. "You really think fat nose here can keep you safe." Elliot chuckles, pointing at Jasper.

Jasper covers his nose instantly, as his body grows tight.

Elliot notices this. "I was joking." He walks over and pats Jasper on the shoulder. "Sorry, I know that was rude. I apologize." He put his hand over his heart, while his other remains on Jasper's shoulder.

"It's okay." He shrugs Elliot off, and walks toward the fire pit.

"Watch what you say, okay Elliot? He's sensitive." Olivia pats Elliot's arm, before chasing after Jasper.

"Yeah, I guess he is. I need to watch what I say." He then turns to the grill. "Hello, my nemesis, we meet again." He rubs his hand together, before pulling a lighter out of his pocket, and gets to work.

~~~

"I swear my brother didn't mean it." Olivia takes a seat beside Jasper. "He's just, very open, and teases anyone and everyone."

"No no, I get it, I just, I don't know. It's stupid." Jasper chuckles nervously. "Elliot has nothing to worry about." He scratches the back of his neck, for Olivia's eyes bore holes in his head.

"Aight." She turns to the sound of a car, and her eyes widen.

"Uncle Rudy!" She takes off towards a man, who holds out his arms.

"Kiddo! Oh how I've missed my niece!" He wraps her in his arms and spins her around, even though Jasper's certain she's fourteen.

"Did you bring it?!" She stands in front of the stranger now, and Jasper swears, if she had a tail, it'd be wagging a million miles per hour right now.

"Sure did." Rudy pulls out an envelope, which Olivia takes, before running off.

Rudy turns his attention to the brunette by the unlit fire.

"Well, hello." As he gets closer, Jasper can make out more features. He has long brown hair, moderately curly, that stands up straight on his head, with shaved sides. He wears a blue shirt, and khaki shorts, with black sandals. "You must be the new neighbor." He holds out his hand. "I'm Rudy." His eyes twinkle lightly.

     Jasper holds out his hand tentatively. "Jasper." He stutters, as he keeps awkward eye contact.

     "You gon' be alright mate?" Jasper notices Rudy has a slightly faded southern-Australian accent. Hardly noticeable, unless you concentrate.

     "Y-yeah, yeah, I think so." Jasper faces forward once more.

     "Stop flirting with him Rudy! He's straight! You know what happened the last time you flirted with a straight man!" Elliot hollers from the grill.

     "That was a different time you son'bitch! 'Sides, there's nothing wrong with innocent flirting! Eh?" He hits Jasper's shoulder playfully.

     "Sure." He stood then, leaving Rudy by himself.

     His fingers drum nervously against his thighs, as he walks up to Elliot. Jasper sighs heavily, catching Elliot's attention.

     "I know, Rudy is a bit much, but hey, he's family."