Urns of Foreboding Mystery

"Erica?" Jasper steps into the kitchen, following after the girls.

Elliot stands over the stove, stirring a pot of macaroni. "She ran outside, said something was missing." Olivia plops herself onto the counter.

     "Uncle Jasper?" He turns to his niece. "Mom said something about missing Urns? Dad, Gram and Gramp?"

     Jasper's stomach sinks past his legs. "I'll be right back!" He jogs out of the house, and pauses when he sees Erica crying.

     "Erica?" She turns to meet his gaze, letting him see her puffy red eyes.

     "They're not in the rental Jasp, I don't know where they are." She turns away once more, and lets herself sit in the grass.

     Jasper takes a seat beside her, and places a hand on her shoulder. "It's alright Erica," He rubs circles on her spine. "I'm sure they're okay. Maybe, your friend has them?" His tone is worried, he hasn't seen her like this since Phillip's death.

     Erica's eyes come to light, and in an instant she's up. "Yes! May be! I'll be right back!" She removes keys from her pocket, before hopping in the car.

     "Erica?" She starts the engine, and drives away before he can balance himself.

     "Everything alright?" Jasper turns to Meliza.

     "Yeah, your mom is just, upset. All is well. Come, let us go inside." He walks with her to the kitchen.

Elliot glances over, eyes full of curiosity and concern. "You guys lose someone?"

Jasper furrows his brows. "No, we just," he sighs heavily. "My parents, and brother. We don't have them with us." He sighs once more.

Elliot tilts his head, making him look like a confused puppy. "Oh." He pauses, with realization dawning on his face. "They've been cremated?"

Jasper breathes deeply. "Long story."

Elliot nods his head, before going back to the macaroni. "Dinner will be ready in ten." He states. "I'd recommend you wash your hands, after handling your luggage. It's touched by more people than you realize, and many don't wash their hands." Jasper scoffs lightly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He leans closer, while Elliot faces away.

"You could get sick. You might want to wash your hands, so you don't." He smiles innocently to himself, as he dumps the macaroni into a strainer.

"Olivia? Would you mind going to get our milk, butter, and cheese?" He places the pot back onto the stove, before dumping the macaroni back in.

"Sure!" She leaps away and out of the house.

"Is your house unlocked?" Jasper clears his throat.

"Yeah, I only lock it when I leave the property." He pauses. "Well, when I leave it for long periods of time. People 'round here, they may be all sweet and kind, but many are liars and thieves, just looking to make some extra money off of some poor idiot." Elliot grabs five plates, and sets them on the counter.

Olivia comes jogging in with the supplies in a bag. "Here you go!" Elliot takes them after thanking her.

"Thieves?" Meliza texts away beside Jasper.

"There are thieves everywhere, my friend." He removes a package of shredded cheese from the bag. "A place like this, people don't make a lot of money. Granted, quite a few houses here, cost a lot to get into." He stirs the cheese. "but, people just can't make big bucks. Because of this, many resort to theft." He stirs in milk and butter.