Episode 8 - Silver

The artificial candlelight from the hanging lanterns, reflected a hundred-fold across the glass ceiling and walls, gives the impression of twilight against the slate-grey sky outside. Claire has to remind herself that it's hardly eight in the morning. She watches the rain pour down the glass in distorted rivulets of reflected light as she sips her peppermint tea at one of many small bistro tables. Her legs bounce with anticipation and her eyes occasionally wander toward the doors to her right and left, leading into the as yet unexplored wings of Le Chateau de Verre.

Not wanting to spoil the surprise, she keeps her eyes trained on the rain and the lanterns hanging from overflowing containers of fuschia, chenille plants, succulents, ferns, and ornamental peppers. The grating sound of metal on stone pulls her attention to the seat opposite her where a very pregnant woman now sits. Her hair is so brilliantly red and her eyes so startlingly green they seem a rebellion to the autumn storm.

"Beautiful day for a tour," she says, following Claire's eyes to the clouds and rain. Claire can detect no hint of sarcasm and so she smiles in return. The woman stretches out a freckled hand for a firm handshake, "I'm Melanie. I've been an assistant coordinator and horticulturist at the Chateau for... uh... six years now? I worked as a student here in the summers too."

"She's my sister-in-law!" Veena shouts from inside the shop where she is busy making last minute preparations for the garden's public visiting hours.

"To be fair I was working here long before I ever met her brother." Melanie grins.

Claire nods and gives her own name.

"Shall we begin?" Melanie uses the table to help her to her feet, groaning a little at the effort.

Veena pops her head around the brick wall behind them. "Claire, make sure she takes a break after a while."

"I'm fine!" Melanie shouts, rolling her eyes.

"I mean it!" Veena shouts in return. "You can leave the mug there, Claire. I'll get it shortly."

Claire nods, swallowing an amused smile as she follows Melanie.

"She's been trying to get rid of me for a while now," Melanie explains, loud enough to ensure Veena hears as well, "Thinks a pregnant woman can't do a little manual labour. I'd go crazy without the gardens to keep me busy. But I'm glad she found someone experienced to cover for me while I'm off with the babies."

"I'm glad I could have the opportunity to work somewhere like this," Claire tells her, motioning towards the lush greenery surrounding them.

Melanie glances around her, beaming with pride. "It's hard work but it's worth it."

She stops Claire before they enter through the first doorway. Warm air escapes through the cracks between the glass door and plaster wall, and Claire is eager to move on. She wonders if this barrier exists not only to sustain humidity and temperature, but also a sense of mystery.

"You saw our seasonal outdoor gardens on the way in and, as you know, the conservatory entryway is home to our hanging gardens, shop, and cafe," Melanie indicates each before turning her attention towards Claire and the door beside them, "Our North Wing houses our koi pond and meditation garden, as well as our succulent collection."

She opens the door.

The sound of trickling of water catches Claire's attention first; a stream splits the room in two, originating from a waterfall-like fountain on the right wall, dancing over an indented pathway of smooth riverstone, and ending in a lily-covered pond that bulges out from the rounded glass on the left. The floor is covered in pale sand except for a smooth stone path that lazily wanders throughout the room, only broken where a miniature wooden bridge passes over the stream. The sand is raked into a series of lines, curving and circling around rocks as tall as Claire. The entire scene is surrounded by red and purple-leaved maples, dwarf conifers, and various low-lying greenery. There are occasional bursts of white from the camellia tucked away amongst the understated foliage, and of course from the lilies scattered across the pond's surface.