Episode 9 - The Crimson Door

The street is teeming with darkness and life. Halos of fluorescent light illuminate the drifting capes of heroes and vampires, the furry ears of cats and werewolves, and the snug winter coats hanging on the shoulders of the younger children. Occasionally a brief flurry mottles the light before subsiding into a light drizzle.

"Look at that one, over there! Who is he supposed to be anyway? Freddy Mercury? Anyway he should have a coat on... or at least a long sleeved shirt..." Violet Gallagher rubs her arms, and shivers as though she is the one out in the frigid night air and not watching from the warm safety of the smaller of 53 Ganymede's two sitting rooms.

"They're young, Violet. They don't even feel the cold like we do." Art shrugs as she speaks and then rushes over to the front door where three smaller trick-or-treaters are just about to knock.

"I'm not that old," Violet mumbles and sneaks a wink at Claire who is kneeling beside her, their legs sinking into the sofa cushions while their arms rest on its back so they can watch the spectacle out of the window. They both grin as they hear Art's rehearsed cackle and the gleeful giggles of the children as they accept their candy.

"You're enjoying this far too much," Claire teases as Art returns, readjusting her pointed black hat. Art ignores her, snatching a mini chocolate bar from the large bowl by the front door.

"Throw one of those over here," Violet calls, and Art tosses two. Violet shares the second with Claire.

"Going to raid the kids' stash after they go to bed?" Claire asks.

Violet chuckles, "Of course!"

"How come you didn't go with them this year?" Art asks after seeing to another troupe of children.

"Feeling a little under the weather. Upset stomach. Probably shouldn't even eat this," she says before finishing off her chocolate.

"Flu?" Claire asks.

Violet's lips twitch. "Don't worry, it isn't anything catching."

Claire's eyes open wide, and she raises an eyebrow in askance. Violet nods, unable to contain her joyful grin a second longer. Art claps her hands and throws her another chocolate bar. "Oooh, then you better have another one of these."

"You're the first to know, aside from family of course. So don't spill the beans just yet."

Hearing his name, Beans comes rushing over from where he was napping somewhere on the first floor – probably near the fireplace in the other sitting room. As soon as he struggles his way up onto the couch beside Claire, lifting his paws between her arms and licking her face, he notices the horde of strangers passing by outside and begins yipping madly.

"He seriously didn't notice until now?" Violet shakes her head, trying to pet the white tornado of fur beside her.

Claire sighs, "I better take him for a walk. Can you watch him for a minute while I go and grab my coat?"

"You should have sent him to the store with Sara, or out with Jamie and the kids!" Art shouts at Claire's back as she jogs up the stairs.

Inside Claire's apartment she is greeted by the usual footsteps pacing this way and that above her head. They've become so ingrained in her expectations that she notes their absence more often than their presence. Claire snatches her coat from where it lays on her bed, shoves her feet into a pair of rubber boots, and grabs Beans' leash before rushing out into the hall and almost colliding with Marcus Alvez.

"Oh! Mr. Alvez, I'm sorry," Claire says, noting how close she was to pushing him down the stairs.

"Marcus," he reminds her, "And it's fine. I could use a little excitement after such a long trip."