Episode 13 - Finders and Collectors

"Don't you want to sit down for a minute?" Claire asks, motioning to a slatted wooden bench miraculously clear of snow despite the heaping piles surrounding it.

"Nah," Lucy answers, taking a cautious bite of her croissant, still steaming from the oven.

"Haven't you been on your feet all day?"

"Sure," Lucy answers through another buttery bite of pastry, "But it's stifling in there. I like the cold air, and being able to stretch my legs."

Claire shrugs, taking a bite of her own croissant. It is tender and warm, the almondy glaze adding the perfect touch of sweetness. "This is delicious. I should join you for breaks more often."

"Yes, you should," Lucy states matter-of-factly, "Though I won't be working much with school starting again."

She grimaces and takes another large bite as though to help drown out the foul taste of the word school. Claire grins, remembering her own bittersweet memories of high school.

They eat in silence for a time, Claire struggling to keep up with Lucy's long strides. She leads them through a small residential park and then onto a busy thoroughfare lined with towering offices, restaurants, bars, malls, and movie theatres. Claire's skyward glances must be more obvious than she realizes because Lucy says:

"You've never been to Park Valley before, huh?"

Claire shakes her head, allowing herself to glance around more freely. This neighbourhood isn't so different from downtown Newport, except that the buildings are newer and the retail offerings a little more upscale. There also seems to be more of an emphasis on evening entertainment; the neon lights of various pubs, clubs, and lounges begin to flicker on in the early evening dimness. Many are still adorned in reindeer and holly, offering New Year's specials despite the recent passing of the holiday season.

"I come to the malls here a lot with my friends from PVH. That's Park Valley High," she explains upon seeing Claire's upturned eyebrow, "The movie theatres here are nice, but a lot more expensive than the one downtown."

"Wow," Claire says distractedly, "I wish I'd had that kind of freedom as a kid."

Lucy laughs. "It's not like Opa lets me stay out late. He's been complaining all day about me working past dark. Besides, aren't older people supposed to complain about how in their day they could just roam the streets without worry or care and how our generation are coddled into dependence and laziness?"

Claire swallows a grin and forces her lips into a stern pout. "First of all... I am not older people, I am 26. I'm a millennial, so don't even talk to me about the complaints of older generations. Second of all, the city I grew up in wasn't even a quarter of the size of this one and the bus didn't run past six when I was a kid."

"Okay, okay I get it," Lucy answers after swallowing her last bite, quickly pulling on a pair of mittens to replace the lost warmth of the croissant. "I just feel like... like he's overprotective sometimes. Because of mom."

Claire nods, chewing thoughtfully. She swallows and licks her lips, unsure whether she is prepared for where this conversation may lead. "Your Opa told me she passed away a couple of years ago. I'm sure he's afraid of losing you too."

"I know." Lucy looks at her feet as they walk, though she still seems to navigate their busy surroundings with ease. "It's just... I spent so much time in the hospice and at home helping Opa..."

"You feel like you finally have a chance to be yourself."

Lucy's head shoots up and, though she never misses a step, her eyes widen with surprise before narrowing again defensively. "I miss my mom. Every day. I'd give it all up to see her again."