Episode 14 - One Step Closer

The room is circular with ceilings that are tallest in the centre, sloping down to where they meet the outer walls. It isn't large – only the size of Claire's bedroom, which makes sense given that this room sits above her own. Claire blinks and drops her gaze to the faded area rug as she realizes this detail, but her brain simply cannot acknowledge it as reality.

Lifting her head again, she takes in the personal details of the space. A solid wood desk is built into the wall, curving elegantly around more than half of its circumference. On its worn surface rests many things one might expect to find there – a laptop, neatly lined sketchbooks and spiral notebooks, jars of pens, pencils, and markers – but also a small cook-top and microwave with a couple of mugs, plates, and a chipped bowl resting on the top.

A half-moon bed emerges from the other half of the wall, filled with mismatched blue sheets and what may have once been a floral comforter but is now simply purple with vague pink and green splotches. There's also a grey furry throw that looks newer, and plenty of pillows that spill over onto the floor. Many of these also look faded with age though they still exude an atmosphere of comfort.

All of this is illuminated by a spherical pendant lamp that hangs from the tallest point of the room; there are no windows here. Black lines trace its paper cover so that shadows fall in swooping arcs, leaving complex patterns over the white walls which are lined with tiny shelves holding picture frames, books, and trinkets.

Claire takes a step forward to investigate, but a shuffling beside her reminds her that she is not alone and this is not her space to explore at will. She turns, startled for a heartbeat when she finds Declan so close by her shoulder – to be fair, there isn't much floor space to stand in. His coat is gripped in his hand where he has retrieved it from a hook beside the bed.

"Ready to go?" She asks him, smiling in hopes that it will alleviate some of the discomfort wrinkling his forehead.

He nods and opens the door behind them -- somehow tall enough for his lanky height despite the slant of the ceiling -- and they both step out into a burst of natural light. There is no one here to notice their presence except a vintage rocking horse and a few other antiques lining the tables along the walls, and they make their quiet way down the stairs. Mack is busy shelving by the door, but he turns to acknowledge their passing.

"Have a good day, Claire. I'll see you around again soon I'm sure," he says, but his eyes linger on Declan and his brow tightens despite the cheeriness of his voice. In the end he forces a smile and a nod toward the other man and returns to his work.

Claire smiles and chuckles a little once the door is closed and the bookshop is behind them. Declan looks at her, slipping eagerly into his coat and shoving his hands deep into its pockets.

"What?" He asks, looking at her and back at the shop behind them.

"He thinks you're a ghost," Claire says, laughing again as she recalls the various stories Mack has whispered on her visits.

"I saw that man again today," he told her one day, "He always shows up on the third floor, but there's no way up there. Unless... unless he can move through walls."

Seeing as Claire can't exactly explain the circumstances of Declan's presence, and with a thought that it might be even more unbelievable than a haunting anyway, all she has managed to do is reassure Mack that Declan harmless and there is nothing to worry about.

Declan seems to find the situation less humorous; "A ghost? Me?"

Claire takes in his pale skin and hair, his long and skeletal frame. She shrugs, "Given the circumstances, it's not that surprising."