The heart in the tree

it was a cloudy day in Hawkins. Will, Dustin and Lucas were over at Mike's house for a campaign. They were all sleeping over. Dustin was the first to arrive, bursting through the door. Karen, Mike's mom, was chopping vegetables for dinner in the kitchen. She quickly wiped her hands on a towel and went to greet him. "hello Dustin, Mike's upstairs in his room" she said warmly and smiled. "Thanks mrs. wheeler" he said and ran up the stairs, dragging a bag filled with his belongings after him.  "mIKE" he screeched, his voice cracking on the I. He ripped the door to Mike's room open. Mike flinched, quickly pushing down the antenna on his walkie talkie. Dustin's smile turned to a frown. "El?" he said with a hint of sadness in his voice. Mike was about to open his mouth, when they heard the door open, followed by the sound of Karens shoes walking across the kitchen. "hey mrs. Wheeler" a voice said. It was Lucas. "Mike is in his room" Karen said. They then heard footsteps against the carpet covered stairs. The door was then opened, somewhat calmer than how Dustin had opened it. "Hey Lucas" Mike and Dustin said in unison. "Hey, are you guys ready for a campaign?" Lucas said happily. "Uh yeah, we just need Will" Mike said, looking at his watch. "Weird, he should have ben here by now, he's never late is he?" Mike said starting to sound worried. "Mike, calm down, he's probably just stuck in traffic" Dustin said and shrugged. "Stuck in traffic? seriously? We live in Hawkins Dustin, There's probably only like 4 cars on the road right now" Mike said and started to fiddle with his fingers.  A moment of silence passed by. "Why don't we unpack our stuff?" Lucas suggested, trying to loosen the tension. "Yeah whatever" Mike shrugged. Lucas and Dustin shared a look, before Dustin suddenly turned his bag upside down over Mike's desk. "Well well" Dustin said, resting his hands on his hips. "We got dunkAroos, cheez doodles, fun dip, chocolate pudding and Nuttybars" he said sounding proud for some reason. Just as Lucas was about to open his bag, they heard the door open once again. "ok sweetie, there's painkillers in the front pocket, your allergy meds are in the big room and there's a first aid k-" "mom" Will cut off Joyce. They all shared a look. Lucas then got up and opened the door covered in posters, leading into the hallway. "Arent you guys coming?" he said, leaning slightly against the doorframe. "Oh yes, of course" Mike said and jumped off his bed.

They all ran downstairs to greet their friend. He was standing next to Joyce, who had kneeled down to be on the same eye level as him. She looked like a disaster, her hair was all messed up as if she had not brushed it for days, the bags under her eyes were gigantic, and in her hand was a cigarette that had burned out. "And if there's anything, call me please" she said and pulled up his right sleeve, revealing her phone number written on his arm in sharpie. "Mom, its gonna be fine" Will assured her. She gave him a sad smile and pulled him into a hug. They then pulled away, and Joyce got up. She seemed to flinch a bit when she noticed Mike, Lucas and Dustin standing right infront of them. "H-hey boys" she said and smiled. Her hands were shaking, and the burned out cigarette was rocking back and forth between her fingers. "Hi, Ms. Byers" Dustin said and smiled. Joyce brought the sad residual of the cigarette to her mouth, realizing it had burnt out just now. She let out a Shaky breath and smiled at the boys. "You guys have fun, alright?" She Said with furrowed brows and turned around the doorknob. Will looked at his mom exit the door with a frown. They all stood in silence for a bit. "Wanna get started with the campaign ?" Mike said and nudged Wills's shoulder, causing the smaller boy to flinch suddenly and look at Mike with a look of horror on his face. Mike quickly pulled his hand back, and nervously rubbed it against the back of his other hand. "You okay?" Mike said squeezed his lips shot, looking at his friend who seemed to be shaking lightly. "Uh y-yeah" Will stuttered and scratched the back of his neck. "Well alrighty wanna head downstairs and start!?" Dustin shouted. They then all sprinted downstairs, Will lacking behind. 

//Heyo its me again. Dont worry, there'll be more byler in chapter 2