Cooking class

"Mom! Why do I need to go there?" Mike whined as his mother wrapped a scarf around his neck. "You should really learn how to cook, Micheal" Karen stated. "Mom i don't need to learn, i swear!" He protested as they walked out the door. "Micheal, remember when you nearly burned down the house trying to cook pork chops?"  she said and raised her brows at him. Mike thought back at the day where his mom had put him in charge of cooking dinner. He had never really used a gas stove before, and he was guessing that was the reason it suddenly caught on fire. He had tried frantically waving a dishtowel at the flame, before sprinting into the living room while screaming for his mom. She had quickly gotten up from the couch, ran to the kitchen, and then scrambled out a lid from a cabinet, slamming it on top of the pan. Meanwhile Nancy and Ted had appeared in the kitchen too. "Nice going, Mike" Nancy had spat. Mike had then pulled her ponytail, causing Nancy to slap him in the back of the head. "Hey!" Ted had then said in an angry tone and pulled them apart. 

Mike sighed and sat in the passenger seat next to his mom. They sat in silence for a bit while Karen started driving.  "Micheal, i seriously don't understand why you don't want to go? I know Dustin Lucas and Will are going to be there too" Karen said and broke the silence. "Oh and i heard that Jenny.. Jen.." she trailed off. "Jennifer." Mike muttered. "Ah yes, Jennifer, is going to be there too, sweetie!" She said and nudged him, her hands still on the steering wheel. "Come on Mike! It's normal to have a crush on someone!" Mike had nearly opened the car door and thrown himself out on the road of pure embarrassment. "Mom!" Mike snapped instead. "She's a nice girl Micheal, don't be embarrassed!" she answered. "Just leave it alone!" he said and stared out at the trees rushing by the moving car. 

When Mike and Karen got there, they could already see Dustin getting dragged by his mother towards the Hawkins middle school building. Mike hated the fact he had to go here, on a damn saturday! He huffed and shoved his hands into the pockets of his dark green coat. "Can you handle the rest yourself, sweetie?" Karen asked. "Uh, yeah" Mike mumbled and stepped out of the car. "See you honey! I'll pick you up at 4:30, okay?" she asked from the car. "Sure thing" Mike said, trying to sound happy. "Okay, have fun!" she said and started to drive off. Have fun Mike thought. How could he possibly have fun while being forced to take a cooking class. Though the fact that Will was going to be there too made him lighten up a bit. He kicked a rock and smiled at the pavement. "Mike!" Mikes head immediately perked up. It was Will. His brown coat was zipped all the way up to his neck, and his hair was styled in a bowl cut as per usual. "Hey Will!" he said in a high pitched tone. He cleared his throat. "I-uh i mean, hey Will" he said trying to sound more masculine. "Hi" Will said, sounding a little confused. They stood in silence for a bit. "Wanna' head in?" Will suggested, since they were still standing in the deserted parking lot of Hawkins middle school.

When Will and Mike entered the already pretty crowded 60s looking school kitchen, they spotted Lucas and Dustin shuffled together between some other kids. The teacher was already explaining something to the class while the two boys had barged in. It felt like all eyes were on them. Will moved a bit closer to Mike, since he didn't really enjoy the unwanted attention from the class. Mike didn't seem to mind though. "Just find a place to stand" the teacher sighed. Mike and Will then carefully passed through the crowd of people so they could stand next to their friends. Their teacher went on about the difference between ecological grown potatoes and potatoes grown with use of pesticides while writing on to the chalkboard. "Now team up in pairs. Two and two." Dustin and Lucas quickly shuffled even closer together to signal they were partners. Will and Mike did the same. Will could just see Jennifer Hayes blonde ponytail sticking up between some of the other kids. He had to admit Jennifer was a pretty girl, but he could never imagine her being his girlfriend. She didn't make his legs feel wobbly, nor did she make his face flush whenever she spoke. It just wasn't like that. "Any questions?" the teacher asked. Will saw Jennifer Hayes raise her hand. "Yes, Jennifer?" the teacher said and pointed at her with a piece of chalk. "I just wanted to say i'm really glad i came!" Jennifer exclaimed. What a suckup. "That's what she said!" Some boy in the crowd said, causing everyone to laugh and Jennifer's face to flush bright red. "Anthony!" The teacher yelled, obviously very angry. "Sorry miss!" The Anthony boy yelled through the laughter of the other kids. "Find a kitchen" The teacher breathed, sounding rather exhausted. Mike hurried over to a kitchen, pushing past the other kids. "Dibs!" He yelled, sounding like he actually wanted to do this. Dustin and Lucas took a kitchen not too far away from Mike and Will. 

After the teacher had passed out recipes, Will and Mike agreed that Will would get the ingredients, and Mike would prepare the pots and pans. They were going to make trout with steamed potatoes. Mike had never ben a big fan of fish though. Looking over at Lucas and Dustin's kitchen, he could see Dustin put on a disgusted face as Lucas sat down a plate with raw trout on it on the counter. "Do they seriously expect me to eat that?" Dustin said, still with a disgusted look on his face. "Don't be a baby, Dustin" Lucas hissed. "I'm not a baby, i just have standards!" Dustin snapped back. Lucas just glared at him. Mike blocked out his bickering friends, and started to gather the pots and pans. Even though they had ben quite worn out, they were still ordinary pots and pans after all; just with a lot of marks and bumps here and there. There was a constant humming of kids talking and laughing filling the room. Mike kind of liked it, even though he did prefer the quiet. 

After seasoning the raw trout with salt, pepper and a bit of lemon, Will and Mike finally put it in the oven. Their's definitely didn't look the best, especially compared to Jennifer Hayes and her partner Ann Miller's trout. Their teacher had even praised the girls' work, while she on the other hand had given Will and Mike the mediocre rating of "Okay". Mike hadn't exactly expected their trout to look like something he would see on "Dinner at Julia's", which he would sometimes watch with his mom on saturdays evenings, but he had expected it to look at least somewhat good. He sighed and sat down next to Will. "I think it went okay" Will mumbled. "Yeah, i guess" Mike said and looked at Dustin and Lucas. Looking under the table, he could see Dustin holding a bag of cheetos. He was of course doing his best on trying to make it go unnoticed by the teacher. Mike just rolled his eyes at Dustin. "What's the matter?" Will questioned. Mike just nodded in the direction of Dustin. A moment of silence between the two boys passed by. "Wh-what is it?" Will asked quietly. Mike then pulled Will's face very close to his own, in order for Will to see the bag of cheetos Dustin was holding. Will liked this feeling way more than he felt he should. He could in fact see the bag of cheetos in Dustins hand, but he wasn't going to let this moment pass that quickly. "What?" Will laughed quietly, pretending like he didn't see Dustin munching on yet another cheeto. "Can't you see he's holding a bag of cheetos?" Mike asked. Will felt like melting when he felt Mike's warm breath caress his face, and to be honest he hated himself for it. Why couldn't he just have a crush on Jennifer Hayes like the rest of the boys in his grade? Or any other girl for that sake? "Oh yeah" Will laughed, a little louder. Mike laughed with him. Their laughing came to a hold when the teacher sent them a glare from her desk. The two boys just looked at each other, doing their best not to burst into a fit of laughter.

"Ah! Shit!" Mike cursed as he nearly dropped their burning hot trout on the table. He then did a weird little dance around the kitchen while profusely pulling off the oven mitts. "That was hot" He breathed as he rubbed his hands together. "I can see that" Will chuckled, earning a dorky smile from the other boy. "Attention class!" The teacher yelled into the room and clapped her hands. When everyone had her focus on her, she continued; "Prepare your meal, i'm gonna go around and taste it in a moment". "Shit! Shit! Will get the plates!" Mike yelled, since their table was not set at all. Will didn't say anything, he just ran over to the cabinet with porcelain plates in it and pulled three out. Mike then ran over and got three white plain napkins, along with knifes and forks. Will was already placing the plates neatly on the table when Mike got back. They tried to make it look nice by wrapping the cutlery in napkins. It didn't look as neat as they had expected though. "I-Uh it looks uh.." Will stuttered, "Great" Mike said. "What?" Will answered and raised his eyebrows. "I said it looks great, Will" Mike said in an optimistic tone. "Really?" Will asked. "It does look nice you dink!" Mike said and wrapped his arm around Wills small shoulders. "Boys" The voice of their teacher made Mike pull his arm away from Will in one swift motion. Will frowned. "May i taste your meal?" She asked. "Yes! Of course!" Mike said and ran over to cut out a piece of trout for their teacher. He placed it on the white porcelain plate and started to ramble about how "It was cooked with love", since he was desperate to bring their food in a better light. Though all the words coming out of Mike's mouth seemed to fade away, as if he was underwater. Will just felt mesmerized by Mike was excitedly explaining the meal they had cooked. Maybe cooking class wasn't that bad. 

//An: i'm sorry i haven't updated in a while lmao i've ben having writers block. You can comment suggestions if you want. I'm not gonna write smut tho lmaooooo