Chapter 2

A few weeks had passed since our special night together. Joe went right back to work, promoting his new album. He hadn't really spoken much to me since the morning we got back from our weekend camping trip in Yosemite State Park. I didn't know why he was avoiding me. I really hoped he didn't have any regrets of our night together but I had to find out what was wrong so I called him, hopefully he would answer. It rang then suddenly I heard a "Hello?". My heart skipped a beat at the voice.

"Joe?" I said unsure.

"Yeah." He replied.

"Hey, It's Beth, We have to talk." I started out, trying my best to keep my frazzled nerves calm as well as my breakfast down.

"Why, What's up?" Joe sighed.

"I don't know why you've been avoiding me." I blurted out, then inhaled a sharp breath as I cursed to myself, that's not exactly how I wanted to approached this problem between us.

"I haven't." Joe replied dully.

"Yeah you have, you haven't called or talked to me in weeks, since our night together. Did I do something wrong?" I replied back, annoyance could be detected in my voice. I wonder if Joe picked up on it.

"No, I've just been busy." Joe replied, rather nonchalantly.

"But you've never gone this long without at least texting me and I haven't even gotten that. I thought you didn't have any regrets about what we did." I tried my best to fight back tears as I spoke.

"I don't." Joe sighed again.

"If you don't then, it still doesn't explain why your acting the way you are." I paused for a moment before continuing. "Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I'm pregnant."

The line went silent for a few minutes. No doubt Joe was on the other end processing the news I had just sprung onto him.

He finally spoke.

"Your what?" he uttered in clear shock.

"Pregnant... you know with a baby." I retorted back at him with attitude.

"Pregnant? Are you sure?" he asked in an uneasy tone.

I dropped the hostile attitude and went back to speaking calmly to Joe.

"I'm pretty sure I am. I haven't gotten my period for this month. But I'm going to the doctors in two days to find out for sure, will you go with me?"

The line was silent again. I knew Joe was deciding what he should do.

"Ok, what time?" he finally answered.

"2:30." I replied.

"Ok, I'll pick you up, bye." and with that I heard a click and the line was silent.

I slowly hung up. I didn't know what to do or think.

To me it felt like the next two days dragged on forever. But the moment I was dreading had come - 2:00. Joe would be here any minute. I took one last look in the mirror, sighed, then headed out the front door to wait for Joe outside.

When he arrived, I got in the car.

"Hi, Joe." I greeted sweetly.

"Hi, so where's the doctors office?" he asked dully, almost half heartedly.

"Court Street, next to the Post Office." I answered lowly.

After that the drive was a silent one. When we got to the doctors office, Joe got out heading for the door. I trailed behind him slowly, dreading what the results would be.

I checked in with the receptionist, a few moments later I was asked to give a urine sample. When I came back out, I took a seat next to Joe in the waiting room. 20 minutes later the doctor called me in.

"Hi Elizabeth. I'm Doctor Lewis." she said shaking my hand. Then she turned "And this is?"

"Joe." he replied, shaking the doctors hand.

"Father of the baby, I presume."

"Yes." Joe and I answered at the same time, looking to each other simultaneously then back to the doctor.

"Ok, let's take a look." The doctor opened my folder, reading the contents. "Your definitely pregnant."

"She is?" Joe uttered in shocked.

"I am?" I said, being just as shocked as Joe was.

"You are!" the doctor confirmed with a smile.

"How far along am I?" I managed to mutter.

"About six weeks, which means I need to see you back in two weeks for a full check up."

"Ok, see you then." I affirmed, my eyes casting over in Joe's direction. He stood there still staring at the doctor.

"Congratulations, you two!" Doctor Lewis said as she patted Joe on the back before she walked out the door.

"I'll be in the car, I need to think." Joe uttered, as he also walked out the door leaving me alone in the cold examination room.

After I had made my follow up appointment. I walked slowly to the car. I had a million thoughts racing through my head. When I got to the car Joe didn't say a word to me. The car ride back to my house was just as deafening as the ride to the doctors was.

When we pulled up in front of my house Joe shut the car off, repositioned himself so he was somewhat facing me.

"What do we do now?" said Joe.

"Plan for the baby." I said in almost a whisper.

"Why?... Wait.... What - your actually considering keeping it?" Joe said in almost half a laugh.

"Of course I am, this is our baby. What did you want me to do?" I said trying not to cry.

"Well, not get pregnant would have been a good start." Joe spat.

"I'm sorry to have ruined your life by doing something you insisted on, after I tried telling you it wasn't worth it and something like this would happen." I looked away, tears still threatening to spill over.

"You never told me you could get pregnant our first time doing it!" Joe said bitterly. I knew he was upset but so was I, this is not what was supposed to happen.

"Didn't your parents ever talk to you about sex? Everyone knows that it only takes once to get pregnant, having unprotected sex like we did. What else did you think I meant when I asked you not once but twice if you would have any regrets about having sex and you said no, then after we do it you barely speak to me, as if I've done something wrong and now that I'm pregnant, it sounds like you won't be around to help me raise our baby." I said, finally letting all my held back tears flow freely.

"I didn't say that. I don't know what I'm gonna do or even how I'm gonna tell my parents. This is a lot for me too you know!" Give me some time to think. I'll call you soon." I could tell Joe was upset at this whole situation. I was unsure what more to say or how to even console him.

I was still at a loss for words as I got out of the car and stood there watching the Father of my baby drive out of our lives.

***Chapter end notes*** - The next installment is up. Please let me know what you think and vote for this chapter. The story is done so I will update soon, the votes and comments make me want to update faster though. *hint, hint* Thank you for reading.