Chapter 3

More weeks that turned into months passed without a word from Joe. When I didn't hear back from him, I just left well enough alone and didn't bother calling him either. It was apparent that he didn't want the baby or to be with me anymore, so I let him move on with his life.

I began to prepare for our baby alone. All the doctors visits and even hearing the heartbeat I did alone. I never expected this, I thought he would take some responsibility by now but as this pregnancy wears on, I am preparing to be a single parent. Having Joe around to be a Father would be nice but since he won't be, I need to get used to being both Mom and Dad to our baby. It hurts to be alone during such a trying time like this. I wanted someone to share this experience with. Little did I know what was to come into my life was more than just a baby.

It was just a routine grocery trip. I was due any day. I only stopped in to get a few things like cereal, bread, milk, chips the usual. I was looking over the cereal, when I was startled by a familiar voice.

"Beth? Is that you?"

I turned to see who was talking to me. I was relieved to see it was only Kevin, Joe's older brother. "Oh. Hey Kev. How are you?"

"I'm good, I was just thinking about you the other day." Kevin smiled, leaning against the shelf.

"Really? Why?" I looked at him with a smirk. I was a little confused at Kevin's statement.

"Well, my family hasn't seen you around in almost a year. We didn't know what happened between you and Joe, and whenever your name was mentioned he'd leave the room and refuse to talk to anyone about you." Kevin explained.

I turned to face Kevin, moving my red carry basket and revealing my enlarged stomach.

"Well, now you know why your family hasn't seen me and why Joe's not talking."

Kevin's eyes scanned down to my stomach, his eyes going wide at the sight.

"Wait a minute, that's Joe's?" Kevin uttered in shock, pointing to my stomach.

"Yep. Now you know his secret." I gave him a half smile as I nodded.

"Wow, that's really unlike Joe to keep anything from our Dad or Nick, they're so close." Kevin said, still in shock at the family secret he had just uncovered.

"It doesn't surprise me. He hasn't even bothered talking to me since the day we found out I was pregnant." I shrugged.

Kevin looked around before looking back to me, speaking lowly.

"Can we go somewhere more private to talk?" he suggested.

"Sure." I smiled.

So we checked out our items and met up at the local park to talk. After getting out of the car, we walked in silence until we got to a picnic table. I took a seat, Kevin sitting beside me a moment later. It remained silent between us, until Kevin finally spoke up.

"I'm not sure what to say, this all seems surreal. First off, I want to apologize for Joe's behavior over this whole situation. I'm not sure why he's running away from his responsibility."

Kevin and I turned to face each other.

"I do. He said he didn't know how he could handle telling your parents." I replied, looking down to my hands.

"That explains some of his actions, but he needs to get up the nerve to tell them, It's not right." Kevin shook his head in disbelief.

I looked back up into Kevin's eyes.

"I think he's afraid of your parents disappointment in him for making the decision to have sex before marriage, then the pregnancy to boot, I'm sure it wouldn't go over well."

Kevin's face soured in hearing that. He became upset.

"This is worse, it looks like you are due soon and he hasn't told anyone about your situation yet."

"I know. But I just don't know what to do anymore. I have been going through this alone after Joe told me he needed time to think about what he wanted to do about the baby but that was 8 months ago. I haven't heard a word from him since." I explained.

"I know it's not my place but I'd like to help you through this." Kevin offered, placing his hand over mine.

I smiled at his sweet gesture, but shook my head no.

"Thanks for the generous offer. I just wish Joe would step up and be a Father to our child."

"If he hasn't yet, I don't think he will. But I am stepping in to hopefully take his place as the Father of your child." Kevin squeezed my hand in affirmation.

"But why? It's not your responsibility" I affirmed looking to Kevin incredulously.

Before Kevin could answer I felt a sharp pain, then wetness on my shorts.

"Oh....I think my water just broke." I looked down then back at Kevin.

"What does that mean?" he looked at me strangely.

"That I'm in labor." I conveyed.

"Oh. Um - Let me take you to the hospital." Kevin replied as he helped me to the car.

During the drive to the hospital Kevin continued our conversation from the park.

"I want to be with you, I always have. But Joe was also interested in you, he had more nerve than I did to ask you out. I just wish I had asked you out first, then this would be my child your having. Would you consider letting me help you raise the baby?" Kevin confessed.

"I'm in too much pain to talk, drive faster!" I groaned, not in the mood to discuss anything. I just wanted this baby out and soon.

A few minutes later we reached the hospital. I was rushed up to the maternity ward. Kevin stayed by my side the whole time I was in labor. After I had given birth to a boy 24 hours later, Kevin kissed my forehead and told me to rest.

When I woke up a few hours later Kevin was sitting in the chair, caressing my hand.

"Hey you, how are you feeling?" he smiled warmly.

"Good, where's the baby?" I asked, cracking a smile.

"In the nursery. The nurse said she had to take care of him and promised me she would bring him back as soon as she was done." Kevin affirmed, still smiling.

Kevin and I were watching TV when the nurse brought the baby back.

"There's the little guy!" Kevin boasted. Smiling widely, his eyes glistening while looking at the baby cart.

***Chapter end notes*** - What an interesting chapter. What do you think will happen next? Please leave me a comment and upvote this chapter. Thank you.