Part 16

JAKE'S POV

In January, our friends invite Ryan and I to a hockey game, and Ryan is extremely excited. Hockey is his thing. I tease him constantly about being such a cliché – a Canadian who loves hockey – but I can't deny that hockey is pretty awesome. We both wear New York Rangers jerseys and black baseball caps (mine is on correctly, but Ryan is wearing his backwards), and we find our friends after we get our tickets.

"Hey, there you guys are!" Jamie says, slapping us on the back as we approach the group. "I haven't seen you guys in forever, how've you been?"

"Great," I say, glancing at Ryan who's nodding his head.

The rest of our friends: Leo, Chris, and Blake all greet us before we find our seats in the suite they rented out. "This is so fucking sweet," Leo says. And he's not wrong. The suite is so huge and there's a full bar and nice leather couches to watch the game on.

"Yes! Go big or go home baby!" Blake says, throwing his body onto the couch.

Ryan and I exchange glances and smile at each other. Even though we are still currently keeping our relationship private, he gets more affectionate with me in public every day. He can't keep his eyes off me, and I can feel his eyes on me all the time. I fucking love it.

"What's new with you dude?" Ryan asks Jamie, and Jamie smiles widely.

"I actually have an announcement, guys," Jamie says.

"What? That you're gay? We already know," Leo teases and me and Ryan glance at each other as soon as he says the word gay, and I feel a knot in my stomach as I start to panic.

"No, Jesus..." Jamie says. "I actually wanted to say I proposed to Stephanie. We're getting married this summer!"

"YOU DID WHAT?!" Leo yells.

"Congratulations Jamie!" I say, reaching over to hug him and all the other guys follow behind me in congratulating him.

"Am I going to be your best man? Please tell me I'm going to be your best man," Leo begs.

"I don't know who's going to be my best man yet," Jamie admits.

"Come on dude, you're the only shot I have at being a best man! You know Blake and Chris will pick each other, and there's no doubt Ryan and Jake will be each other's best men," he complains, and continues to ramble as Ryan and I exchange another glance. Ryan raises his eyebrows at me and nods his head upwards, and I bite my lip to try and hide my smirk. If only they knew... I don't want Ryan to be my best man. I want him to be the one I'm marrying.

***

We start drinking beers, and before we know it the game is about to start. "Holy on, hold on we have to make bets!" Leo says, running behind the bar and grabbing shot glasses.

"What are you talking about?" Jamie asks.

"Whenever the Rangers get a goal, Jake, Jamie, and Blake have to take shots. Whenever the opposing team gets a goal, Ryan, Chris and I will take shots," Leo says, setting down shot glasses in front of all of us.

"What are we going to take shots of exactly?" Ryan asks, and Leo races behind the bar and pulls out a giant bottle of tequila.

"Oh, Jesus," I mutter under my breath, knowing Ryan will be drunk before the end of the first period if he's mixing tequila with beer.