TᗯO | TᕼE ᕼEᗩᖇTᗷᖇEᗩK

^Phil^

Amber waited in the tent, fixing her hair and readying to perform

Amber waited in the tent, fixing her hair and readying to perform. She glanced around, and when she was satisfied that no one was watching, she took some of her mother's rouge and put it on. When she was carefully replacing the lid, she heard a noise from the back of the tent. Startled, she dropped the lid on to the dressing table where it clattered loudly. Quickly, she glanced around, and at the back of the tent was Luke. He had poked his head through the flap and was motioning for her to come outside. Oh, the nerve of him! She thought angrily as she stood up and shoved her hair back. She took her time walking to the back of the tent, and Luke became impatient. He grabbed her arm tightly, and she winced as his fingers bruised her skin. She wrenched herself free from his grasp and held her arm where he had grasped it. Her eyes filled with fire. Overhead the clouds thundered noisily, and it was growing dark quickly. "Don't you dare touch me!"

"Oh my, you are filled with spirit tonight, Amber. What has gotten into you?" he asked amusingly.

She glared at him angrily, hunching over her arm, her eyes burning holes in his chest. She looked like a panther ready to pounce, causing him to take a step back. "I saw you today," she said, her voice accusing. "I saw you with that woman! I suppose she is one of the many at the governor's palace. Am I right?"

"What is this about, my little Amber? Why so angry? I have returned to watch you dance for me, and this is how you show your gratitude?" he replied, pretending to get hurt.

But she was nowhere to get finished. She wants answers. "Don't avoid the question. Answer me!"

"Amber," he warned as he advanced towards her. His gaze was furious as he took her by the arm, squeezing it tightly, "I do not deserve to be treated this way. I suggest that you change your attitude. Remember who you are talking to."

"Who are you to tell me what to do? I deserve to know who that woman was that you were with today." When he did not open his mouth to speak, she yelled again, "Answer me!"

Just then a figure emerged from the shadows. "Luke, she deserves to know, and if you refuse to inform her, I will." The voice belonged to a woman, and when she had come into the light, Amber recognized her as the one from the market place.

She looked from Luke to the woman and then back to him. She felt her throat becoming constricted with tears. "This is, Christina, Amber. I brought her along so I could introduce her to you. She is my fiancé." he said calmly.

"What?" she gasped, backing away from the two.

"We are to be married in a few months." he declared. Amber stood completely still, hardly daring to breathe. The shock of this news made her blood boil, and she clenched her fists at her sides.

"I thought you would be happy for me, I thought that perhaps you were different from the rest of them, but I was wrong." he explained, almost emotionless.