TᕼᖇEE | TᕼE ᑕᗩᑭTᑌᖇE

^Carson^

As soon as Amber reached the city, chaos met her eyes

As soon as Amber reached the city, chaos met her eyes. There were people running around, screaming frantically. She carefully stepped over several dead soldiers, stifling the screams that caught in her throat. The sight that met her eyes was gruesome. Pirates! She thought. They were breaking into houses, stealing anything and everything they could find, and terrifying all of the people of the town. Women were screaming and fainting. She took a small path and hurried down it, hoping to remain unnoticed. "God, please let his plantation be untouched."

Luke's sugar plantation rested down a small and quiet road. No one would suspect the worn path to lead to a plantation, and when she reached, she saw the large home, gleaming in the moonlight, all was quiet, and it appeared to be untouched. She hurriedly rushed through the front door calling his name. "Luke! Luke?"

No one answered. Perhaps he is in his study. When she went to the door to open it, she heard lowered voices from within, but not one of them was his. She squatted down, and she carefully cracked the door so she could hear what they were saying. "Capn' Reed plans to attack the loaded ladies after we get new supplies from Tortuga," a young man was saying.

"Aye," another responded in a gruff voice. "The French galleons will be loaded with treasure for his Highness King George. Carson is very pleased."

She blanched, terror stealing over her, making her legs wobble. "Oh God help us," she breathed. Devonport will be burned to the ground if Reed is leading the assault. I must warn someone. She turned to run, but the door was flung wide, and the pirates looked down at the young girl, sitting in her puddle of skirts.

They laughed crudely. "Now look what we 'ave 'ere," said the gruff one.

"It's a little gypsy," mocked the younger. "Perhaps she is house entertainment." He laughed loudly and tried to lift up her skirt.

She quickly pushed him down, and glared at him angrily, her eyes smoldering. "Never mind, Cade," said the gruff one, pushing him away from her. "You are drunk. Now, miss, perhaps you better tell us just what you 'eard."

She glanced nervously at the pirates and stammered, "No-nothing."

"I highly doubt that," replied Cade, snickering miserably.

"Shut up, you fool! Now, would you like to try me again, missy?"

She was silent, but then she fired back, "What did you do with Luke?"

"Who is this Luke you speak of? Is he the owner of this 'appy establishment?" mocked Cade, his eyes filled with lust. "Cause if he is, he is dreadfully rich. Perhaps we can relieve him of some of his fine belongings." With that he eyed her crassly, making her feel soiled. "What do you think, Cod?"

The old man harrumphed. "We will let the others take care of that, but right now this young miss is our concern. Now, if you don't tell us what you heard, I will be forced to take you to our Capn' whether or not you did or didn't 'ear us."