ᖴIᐯE | TᕼE ᔕEᑕᖇETᔕ

His hands were rough and weathered against her smooth, soft skin, but he was gentle when binding the shoulder wound

His hands were rough and weathered against her smooth, soft skin, but he was gentle when binding the shoulder wound. Amber's arm was hot with pain, and tears stung her eyes. She angrily blinked them away, irritated that her response was to cry for she did not want to appear weak. Bravely she bit her lip to keep herself from crying out, and she continued to stare over his shoulder at a spot on the wall.

When he saw that her eyes were glistening and her teeth were clenched tightly, he grumbled angrily, "The dog should be killed for harming you!"

"Captain, I am certain it was an accident," she replied nobly.

He then eyed her fiercely, and his intense gaze made her shrink away. His voice was stern but gentle. "His dragging you into the ally-way and attempt to rape you was no accident."

His bluntness made her uncomfortable, and she looked away, a harsh blush spreading across her face. She was ashamed for not heeding his advice. It was because of her stubbornness he was now binding her shoulder. "I am sorry for not listening to you," she said, her throat constricting painfully.

He glanced at her, but she did not meet his gaze; she continued to stare past him, her jaw clenched tightly.

His hands had paused at their work, and they were now resting lightly on her bare shoulder. His touch sent a tremor of excitement through her, alerting her of his nearness, but she reprimanded herself. I know nothing about him! Any attraction I feel towards him is purely physical. They both felt the tension, and her cleared his throat and resumed his work. "It is my fault for not taking more responsibility where it was needed. It was foolish of me to let you take off like that. I can't believe I-"

"It was not your fault. If I hadn't have been so stubborn this wouldn't have happened. It was my fault, and I take responsibility for it." she said.

He stared into her eyes with a sign of conflict but decided to drop the argument.

It was then that she met his gaze: His was filled with compassion, and hers was filled with gratitude. She broke the silence. "Where is William?"

A fire filled his eyes that she had never seen before, not even when the men had brought her aboard against his orders. "Down below, chained to the wall."

"What will become of him?"

"And why should you care?" he asked, his voice dangerous, but he saw her fear, and lowered his voice. "I apologize. His fate is not yet decided. But he shall be punished severely for his behavior towards you." He lightly tied a knot, and his work was finished, but still his hands lingered.

"Thank you..." and after hesitating she added, "Carson, for everything. You saved me from a fate no girl deserves to endure. I am very grateful."

His hands, almost reluctantly, left her shoulder, and she replaced her sleeve. He replied softly, "You're welcome, Amber."