ᑎIᑎE | TᕼE ᖇETᑌᖇᑎ

William and Carson had finally made their way to one another, and Amber watched them, terror in her eyes and her screams caught in her throat

William and Carson had finally made their way to one another, and Amber watched them, terror in her eyes and her screams caught in her throat. Sweat beaded her brow as if she were the one fighting instead of the captain, and her nails dug into her palms as she clenched her fists.

Both were circling each other, swords drawn and ready, bodies tense and senses alert. William lunged first, barely missing Carson's side, and when he stumbled, the captain took advantage of his mistake. Reed's sword met his cousin's back with a crack, and she winced as William yelled in pain.

The pirate swung his sword around violently with anger and slashed the shoulder of Carson's, and moments later, blood stained his shirt, and he glared in frustration at his rival who was smiling with cruelty.

Amber, filled with anger and desperate concern, began to rush at William, gripping her sword with fierce determination, but strong arms suddenly wound themselves around her waist and heaved her feet off of the floor. "You shouldn't be here, miss," panted Cod. His leg was bleeding, and he stumbled as he hauled her away.

"Let me go! Let me go!" She screamed, writhing in his grip violently.

At the sound of her voice, Carson was distracted, and he glanced around for her. The fury in his eyes was enough to make Amber shrink away. She never remembered being so afraid of a glare before. Meanwhile, she saw William raise his sword for the kill, and immediately screamed, "Carson, look out!"

Carson diverted his eyes at the last moment, and his sword met his in a loud crash. As the fight continued, both of the men grew tired as they lost more blood, but Reed was determined. Foolishly, William was leaning on his right knee, leaving it unguarded, and the captain took his chance. Slashing downward, he mortally wounded his cousin, and William fell to the floor, clutching his leg and roaring in pain.

Reed placed the blade at his cousin's throat and pushed. William began to whimper. For a moment, raw, unadulterated hatred burned in the captain's eyes, and Amber thought sure that he would kill him, but suddenly the light left his eyes, and his grip slackened on his sword. "I am not going to kill you, William. Instead, I will hold you prisoner until I return to France, at which time I will lay you at His Majesty's mercy. Cod, shackle this traitor, return him to the hold, and chain him back to the wall. You will personally stand guard. The same may be done with any of his treacherous survivors."

••

Amber stood on the deck of the Endurance for the last time, watching the sun disappear behind the horizon. She ran her finger tips along the banister of the ship. The wood had been weathered smooth by rain and wind, and she closed her eyes, imagining the voyages that the ship had sailed, envisioning Reed standing at the helm, his hands on his hips, the sleeves of his shirt billowing in the breeze, his piercing blue-green eyes fixed on something on the horizon.

She glanced to the bow of the ship where Isabelle and Carson stood, arms around each other, her head resting on his shoulder. She was wearing his buccaneer clothes, but she still managed to look like royalty. Amber smiled wistfully in their direction, making peace with everything that had happened, acknowledging her past so that she could finally move forward. She had loved Carson, but only for a brief moment in time. He was a good man, and he belonged with his lady love. He had fought for her ever since the day he had lost her, and a love like that could not be stopped or deterred.