Chapter 9: Kendra's There Again

Ty asked Kendra for her hand in marriage. This was so unexpected. Who would have thought that Ty was ready to get married to my best friend? Kendra was lost for words. I think she was overjoyed and speechless. Tyler is a great man for her and she definitely needs that in her life. Everyone in the room smiled and stared, waiting for Kendra's answer. He knelt down waiting as well.

"Ty, this is...I mean...". "Just say yes baby". "Yes! I will marry you". He placed the ring on her finger and got up to kiss her. We all clapped for them. This was a very special moment. My dad came home, Kendra's eight months and engaged with her baby daddy, this was truly an amazing day. As the party goes on, Tre, his brother, and sister left because his brother had a football game. Paige started to approach me and said she wanted to talk to me. We headed upstairs to my room, along with her baby, to have a conversation. Why she wanted to talk to me, I'm not sure. But for some reason, I was open to it.

"Listen, I know we don't really rock with one another, but I wanted to talk to you woman to woman. I got a baby and stuff now and I really want to do right by her. I just want you to know that I am no longer seeing Tre or Deandre. I haven't talked to D since the other day when he came to get the rest of his shit. As for Tre, we talk here and there but that's for other reasons.We aren't seeing each other in that way or flirting, fucking, none of that. I just thought you should hear this from me".

I didn't know whether to accept this and walk away, or find out who put her up to it. "So, why all of a sudden you want to talk to me about this? I mean, it's just weird that after everything I been through, seeing you at Tre's house pregnant and all, now you want to talk to me. Why?". "At first I didn't feel like I owed you an explanation. Shit, I felt like I didn't owe you a fuck. But after meeting with Deandre, I can tell he was hurt and he wouldn't tell me why. I figured that it was time to speak up and talk to you. I just want to apologize and put the past behind me. Now, we ain't got to be friends or nothing, but at least cordial".

I don't know if having a baby really changed Paige, but I want to know who put her up to this. "I just find it funny, but I agree. Maybe we can put things aside, let the past be the past. And you're saying that neither Deandre nor Trevor put you up to this right?". "Zee, I promise. Me and D dated for a long time. I still consider him a friend even though he doesn't fuck with me. And when my friend is upset, I try to make it right".

"Ok, so I just got one more question for you. And I just want you to keep it all the way one hundred with me". "What's up?". "Who's your baby father". "My what?". "Who's your baby's daddy. Tre said it wasn't him, but he lies a lot. And the baby looks somewhat similar to D. I'm just asking, I'm not accusing". "First of all, my baby's father is my business. Second of all, to dead all of the accusations, no. Neither D nor Tre is the father of my child".

"So you mean to tell me that during your relationship with Deandre, you cheated on him with two different people? Why?". "Ok, look Zenia, none of this is your business. So what if I did. All he was worried about was basketball, basketball, basketball. A girl has needs and he wasn't satisfying them. Sure in high school, being with him meant everything. We were the IT couple and the spotlight was always on us. But behind the scenes, it wasn't all that. When he got with you, it seemed like you're all he cared about. It's like basketball didn't even matter to him".

"No, basketball did matter. That's why we broke up the first time. He wasn't really worried about me and I didn't want to come in between that". "Really?". "Yes. Real shit. I mean, you should know, you dated him". "True. Well, he's not my baby's father. And I don't see how my daughter looks like him". "I don't know, maybe I was paranoid. I mean, she does kind of look like him". "I don't see it. But anyway, that's that. We cool now and we can move on. Now let's go back to this party. A bitch need a drink".

We walked back downstairs and enjoyed the rest of the night. After everyone left, Kendra and Ty went to my room while Ryan, my father, and I cleaned up.

"What do you mean you don't want to marry me?". "Ty, I'm just not ready. We've only been together eight months. That's not enough time to just jump into a marriage. What do you think this is?". "Why did you say yes then?". "Because all of those people were there and I didn't want to embarrass you like that. That would've been humiliating". "Kendra, I really want to marry you. I feel like we know each other very well. We're made for one another". "And I agree with all of that, but it's not the right time. I'm sorry. Just, hold your ring until the time is right".

Ty was so furious with the situation that he took the ring and walked down the stairs to leave. Kendra kept trying to call him and followed after him. We were all confused about the situation, but we continued to clean up the house. After about an hour, we all were reminiscing about the past and catching our dad up to what's going on with us now. It was overall a beautiful day that ended with a wonderful night.

Around 12:08am, Tre called my phone. I didn't answer because Ryan, my dad, and I were still talking. He called a couple times, but I just continued to ignore him. After a few calls, the house phone rung. I knew it was him and just decided to answer it.

"Tre, I don't know why you're calling, but you're really starting to annoy me. Obviously I'm busy so why don't you just...". "Zee! Shut Up! Damn, you talk to fucking much. This is important". "Boy, ain't nothing important when it comes to you. Leave me alone". "Zee, I'm at the hospital and you need to be here". "Why?". "It's Kendra"......