"do you think i'm weird?"

I wrap my arm around Teddy's shoulder, letting him cry and let all of his emotions out.
"It's okay Teddy Bear," I whisper and kiss the top of his head. I notice Chris glancing at us.
"Sorry if I'm ruining anyone's good time," Teddy sniffles. "It's okay man," Chris says.
"I don't think it should be a good time," Gordie speaks up. We all look at him.
"So you're saying you wanna go back?" I ask.
"We're going to see a dead kid's body. I don't think it should be a party," He says quietly.
"Yeah, maybe you're right Gordo," I say.

We continue to walk, Teddy and Vern ahead of the rest of us. As I walk, every step I take is more painful. I wince and sigh.
"You okay Addy?" Chris asks from behind me. I look back, "Chopper really got me back there."
The pain gets so irritating, I have to sit down on the tracks and rest.
"Hey! What's the hold up? Let's get moving!" Teddy shouts back to us. Chris squats down to me and so does Gordie.
"Does it hurt real bad?" He says lightly touching it, I wince.
"It definitely doesn't feel great."
"Can you walk?" Gordie asks.
"I mean yeah, but it hurts like hell!" I complain. Chris looks over at Gordie and he nods.
"Alright little missy, hop on," Chris says turning his back toward me.
"No Chris, I don't want you to hurt your back. I weigh-"
"It's fine Addy, you're hurt. I don't want you in pain," Chris says. I look at Gordie and he nods. I get on Chris' back, feeling myself blush.

"Do you think I'm weird?" Gordie asks Chris.
"Definitely."
"No man seriously. Am I weird?" Gordie puts his arm in front of Chris.
"Yeah but so what? Everybody's weird," Chris replies shrugging. I rest my head on Chris' shoulder, letting the sun hit my cheek.
"Comfortable back there?" Chris chuckles. "Mhm," I smile.

"You guys ready for school? Ninth grade man," Chris asks us.
"I'm scared," I sigh.
"You're scared of everything, Adeline," Gordie rolls his eyes.
"Not true!"
"Oh yeah? Remember that one time we were in my room and you saw a spider and were screaming on the top of your lungs for me to kill it?" Gordie smirks.
"I hate spiders!" I defend.
"What about you Gordie? Are you ready for school?" Chris asks. Gordie shrugs.
"High school..you know what that means, we'll all be split up," Chris says. I gasp and lightly hit his shoulder, "Christopher Chambers!"
"Why would that happen?" Gordie asks.
"Cause you're gonna taking your college courses and the rest of us boys are gonna be in the shop courses with the dumb kids. And Addy will be hanging out with her girlfriends," Chris sighs.

My heart breaks as I hear Chris say all of this. Why does he think this?

"I don't wanna hang out with the girls! Girls are bitches! You guys are my best friends!" I yell.
"You can be a writer someday, Gordie! And Addy, you're gonna grow up and be whatever the hell you want. You guys are just being pussies," Chris says.
"What's pussy about wanting to be with your friends?" Gordie asks, getting angry.
"It's pussy if your friends drag you down! You can do great things, Gordie."
"Fuck writing! I don't wanna be a writer, it's stupid. It's a stupid waste of time! Bullshit!" Gordie yells.
"Bull true!" I say. Gordie looks up at me and shakes his head.
"That's your dad talking..you're just a kid Gordie," Chris says.
"Gee thanks Dad!" Gordie says sarcastically.
"I wish the hell I was your dad! You wouldn't be going around talking about these stupid shop courses if I was. It's like God gave you something man, all those stories you can make up! He said 'this is what we got for you kid, try not to lose it!' But kids lose everything unless there's someone there to look out for them. And if your parents are too fucked up to do it, then maybe I should!" Chris yells.

"Come on you guys, let's get moving!" Vern shouts.
"Yeah! By the time we get there, the kid won't even be dead anymore!" Teddy exclaims. I laugh at him. Gordie catches up with them, leaving Chris and I behind.

I put my head back on Chris' shoulder and sigh happily.
"I just wish that kid would understand that he's got talent," Chris says. I run my fingers through his hair, "He will someday."
Chris stops walking and looks back at me.
"Yeah, you're right." He says, kissing my hand.