"i promise you"

"Isn't she just precious?" I question my husband, Chris Chambers, as I cradle our newborn baby girl.
"She's the most beautiful baby I've ever laid eyes on," he says laying in the hospital bed with me.
"She has your brown eyes," Chris says.
"And your nose," I whisper to him. I look up at him, my eyes glossy, "Thank you baby, I love you." We kiss each other.
"Thank you for having a child with me," Chris whispers. We both look down at our baby in awe.
"What should we name her?" I ask. Chris looks at her and lightly brushes his thumb across her cheek, "Paige." He smiles at her and I smile at him.
"Hi Paige. It's Mommy and Daddy," I say.
"Hi baby girl, I love you," Chris says, "I love you so much and I'll do anything to make you happy and I promise you I'll give you the best life and be the best dad ever," Chris says, his own eyes tearing up. I let him hold Paige, he cries while looking at her.
"I promise you. I promise I'll never ever hurt you in anyway. I'll be here for you through it all baby girl. Daddy loves you so, so much," he begins to cry and holds her close to him. She yawns in response to Chris' promise, causing us both to laugh.

I wrap my arm around Chris' arm and snuggle up to him.
"I love you," he whispers to me.
"I love you, too." I whisper before falling asleep.
*
The next morning, we have a visitor, as the nurse told us.
I wake up and Chris is still laying next to me, but Paige isn't anywhere in sight. My heart begins to pace.
"Baby," I shake Chris lightly.
"Where's Paige?"
"The nurses took her last night, she's okay honey," he says kissing my forehead. As Chris and I both close our eyes. Chris falls asleep again, because I head his breathing get heavy again.
"Where's my niece?" A familiar voice says entering the room. I open my eyes to see my childhood and to this day, best friend, standing in front of my bed. He's holding balloons that say "It's a girl!" and dozens of flowers.

"Gordie!" Chris suddenly wakes up again and shoots right up, almost falling off the bed.
"Hi Gordie," I say softly.
"How's mama doing?" He says walking over to me.
"I'm doing fine, extremely tired though," I say giving him a hug. He gives me a warm smile and holds my hand.
"Christopher, how does it feel like being a Dad?" Gordie asks.
"The best feeling in the world," he nods and grins, his eyes slightly closed.
"Well, where is she? Where is my little niecey?" Gordie asks bobbing up and down lightly.
"Right here," the nurse says bringing Paige in. She brings Paige over to me and I kiss her head.
"Paige, meet your Uncle Gordie," I say passing Paige to him. Gordie smiles and smiles, talking to her.
"I can't wait till you're older and I'm gonna take you so many places and tell you all the wild stories about your folks," Gordie smirks. I laugh and hold Chris' hand.
"She's beautiful, just like her mother," Gordie says cradling her.
"Thank you," I whisper and lean my head against Chris' shoulder.

As Gordie holds Paige, she begins to get a little fussy and cries.
"Gimme my baby," I say holding out my arms.
"Did you ever think you'd be this young as parents? 28 years old!" Gordie asks.
"No, but it's well worth it," Chris says.
"Especially when you're with someone who you love," I say kissing Chris on the cheek.

"I gotta get going, Samantha is home with the dog and trying to puppy train him, so I better go. I'll see you later though," He says. He kisses my head, pats Chris' shoulder then kisses Paige's head before he walks out of our room.

As I hold Paige, beginning to fall asleep, Chris takes her out of my arms and holds her. He begins to sing to her then.

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high.
There's a land that I've heard of once in lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue.
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.

As my daughter falls asleep to the soothing sound of my husband's sweet voice, so do I.