Chapter 3

(America's POV)
What is going on? All I remember is collapsing and then waking up to two people kissing each other with someone else older sitting over me.
"America?" I look toward the voice. It's the older man speaking.
"W-Who are you?" I ask. His eyes go wide and he turns back to the boy who was kissing the girl.
"Maxon." He says slowly. I guess that's what the boy's name is. The girl starts to laugh hysterically.
"HAHA! I told you so! She'll never love you again, Maxon!" And then she bursts out giggling all over again. Wait, wait.. I was in love with Maxon? The boy who was just kissing the girl? The older guy says,
"Come on, America. Let's get you to safety." Then he turns to the boy- Maxon I presume- and says,
"Let's go. Or you can stay with this brat." Then he nods toward the girl.
"Celeste? No way!" Maxon yells and jumps up. But the girl- Celeste? jumps up and holds him back. The older man grabs Maxon and we run for our lives. Then we get to a room that Maxon is calling the "Safe Room." Whatever that is. A girl comes bounding over to me and says,
"Oh my gosh! America! Are you ok?!" I stare at the girl, trying to recognize her face. It doesn't ring a bell.
"Ummm, yeah, but.. Who are you?" At this the girl looks shocked but turns to the older guy.
"King Clarkson. What happened to her?" She asks. The older guy- the king- says,
"Marlee, Celeste is a rebel. She attacked America and hit her in the area where she would lose her memories." Marlee gasps and looks at me again.
"Oh, America. Please, please, please get your memory back!!" Then the king brings me over to a wall and tells me to get as much sleep as possible. I just nod and notice that Maxon is coming over to me. Why would he care about me? Celeste or whatever is his girlfriend. I think. As I start to nod off, I see nurses start to gather around me...
***********************************
(5 Hours Later, after the rebel attack is ended)
"America? America? Please wake up!" Someone says softly. I wake up in a hospital bed. I look over and see Maxon staring at me.
"I'm awake!" I say jokingly.
"America!" He shouts. Then he leans over as if he's about to kiss me but then leans away.
"Did you remember anything when you were asleep? Anything?" I shake my head sadly. Maxon gets tears in his eyes. I feel so bad nowadays. All I do is make people sad. Why can't I just remember anything and make people feel better?!?
"Mer... Ames.." He says softly.
Mer.
Ames.
Mer.
Ames.
MER!
AMES!
I KNOW THOSE WORDS! I shoot up in my bed and clutch my head.
"Think think think!! Remember!!" I tell myself. A nurse then shoos Maxon out of the room temporarily. Then she says,
"You feeling Ok? Cause-"
"SHHH!!! I'm trying to remember!" I yell at her. She scurries out of the room. Then Maxon walks back in with a sad look on his face.. His face....

Memories start to rush back like a waterfall.
Entering the Selection. Falling in love with Maxon. The rebel attack where i was taken. The Report. Marlee. Kriss. The Project. The banquet. The rebel attack with Celeste. Her knocking me out over the head. My family. May, mom, and dad visiting the castle.
I shoot up even further from the bed and yell,
"I REMEMBER EVERYTHING!" Maxon looks delighted and he cups my face in his hands.
"Do you remember.. Us?" I nod delightfully and he presses his lips to mine. We move our lips in synchronization and he pulls me closer. I put my arms around his neck. Eventually, I run out of air and pull away, pressing my forehead to his.
"I love you." The words come out of my mouth so fast I don't even realize it. Maxon pulls away and his jaw drops and forms a perfect O.
"America.. Did you just say what I think you said?" I nod and he smiles ear-to-ear.
"Maxon, I love you with all my heart, and I'm officially ready to move on from my past. My heart flutters when I see you, and when you smile, it makes me smile too. I always get excited for our little meetings... You're handsome, kind, generous, and caring. I couldn't ask for a better person." He smiles and is about to kiss me again when a nurse walks in.
"Miss..." She says, trailing off when she sees Maxon.
"Um.. I'll come back," she says. When the nurse leaves, Maxon laughs really hard.
"Maxon, I don't mean to ruin the moment or anything, but why were you kissing Celeste?" Suddenly, he pales and his good mood drops. Maybe I should've saved that question for some other time.
"She forced me to. She pulled me close and kissed me so hard. I couldn't pull away. She was too strong. It was horrible." He shudders at the end of the sentence and I pull him close.
"It's ok." I say. He nods and pulls me close.
"America. I would end the Selection now, but... my mom and dad probably want me to drag it out to create more suspense."
"Whatever you have to do," I say. Another nurse then walks in and tells Maxon that she has to give me some tests. When she's done, she tells me everything is ok, except for one thing...