Chapter 12

(Maxon's POV)
America's cheeks turn bright red and I burst out laughing.
"S-Stop!" She says, but she's laughing as well.
"I've gotta go, but I'll see you on the Report tomorrow." Then I walk out of the gardens, leaving America. She's hilarious when she's embarrassed.
"Maxon? Sir?" I turn around and see my highest guard talking to me.
"Yes?"
"Do you need anything to be set up for the Report, sir?" He asks me. He couldn't have offered a few hours ago? Really?
"No, it's all done. But thanks for offering." He nods and turns away. I walk up to my parents' room and find my dad there.
"Hey dad!!" I say cheerfully. He looks up from the book that he's reading and smiles.
"Hey!"
"Are we doing anything on the Report tomorrow?" I ask. Probably not, but I need to know whether or not I have to ask the girls questions or something.
"Nope!" He turns back to his books but doesn't read.
"Maxon, can I ask you something?" He says.
"Mm?"
"When are you going to propose to that America girl?" My eyes widen and my heart speeds up.
"Err.. Err.." I stutter. How do I explain this to my dad? I was hoping to push it off a little. And plus, I was planning on telling my mom first.
"So it is her!" He shouts. I nod slightly.
"OH MY GOD! THAT'S AMAZING!" Dad shouts and then flies out of the room. He's probably going to tell my mom the 'news.'
***********************************
(Next day, an hour before the Report)
"Maxon!! MAXON! DO YOU HAVE THE CORRECT SUIT ON?!" My dad shouts across the hall. I roll my eyes.
Dad and his suits.
"Yeah dad, I'm good."
"Ok, can you go attend to the girls now? You will be giving them directions." He says. I groan inwardly and say,
"Yeah dad." Then, I run across the halls and towards the Ladies' Room. The only reason I am excited is because I'm going to get to see America again. When I get there, I see all of the girls lined up in alphabetical order. Probably arranged by Silvia.
"Ok, so, you girls are going to be going up to present your project in alphabetical order, so remember the order you are in." Silvia barks. I resist the urge to roll my eyes are her OCD-like organization.
"Maxon! You're here!" Kriss says and I smile. Silvia turns around and says,
"Prince Maxon, you won't be doing much in this Report." I nod. Perfect. I survey the instructions she gives me and press my lips together.
I'm supposed to act emotionless.
"Really, Silvia?" I ask her.
"Yes, it is the best way." This time I actually roll my eyes at her and she clucks her tongue as if to say, rude.
"Excuse me." I say and again go find my father. He's in the library.
"Dad? Is mom around?" I asked him cautiously. I want to talk to him about mom's party but I don't want her to hear.
"No, why?" I answer in a low voice,
"Cause I want to talk about mom's party." Dad immediately gets up and motions for me to go out the door. I follow him and we are eventually in the secret room where we can look up anything.
"Who do you plan on eliminating?" He asks me. I shrug.
"Natalie, definitely, but as for the second person, I'll have to see how it goes with this project." He nods in understanding.
"Perfect, perfect. Natalie was never really organized anyway. I'm glad you are keeping the organized girls." I stare at him with a confused look on my face.
"Look, I want this party to be as amazing as possible. So that means we have to have the most organized people plan this party or else it won't work." Yeah, that works.
"What about Silvia?" My father scoffs.
"Haha, funny. She's too organized. It's very annoying!" I'm glad to see that we agree on this matter.
"What is the theme going to be?" I ask. Knowing my non-organized, scatter-brained father he probably has no idea. But he shocks me with his answer of,
"A winter- icy theme." Since mom's birthday is in the middle of winter, I suppose it could work. It's actually not a bad idea.
"That's pretty good, dad." He smiles and says,
"Glad you like it."
"So why are we down here?" Sure, it's a great place for secrecy, but we don't need that much secrecy.
"I want to look up Gregory Illéa."
"Ummm, why? He-" But my dad cuts me short.
"Rumor has it that he used to throw amazing parties." So basically, my dad dragged me down here so we can get party inspiration?
"Dad, we need to leave. The Report starts soon. This can wait." He looks over at the clock and frowns.
"The Report can wait."
"Wait-what?!?"