Chapter 16

(Maxon's POV)

I pace around the Safe Room. So many emotions run through me at once. Anger, hate, worry, sorrow, pain, agony. The list goes on. Sure, all of the girls are safe, including the ones I sent home today.

All except America.

America ran out before anybody even knew what was going on. Eventually, mom put two and two together and figured out that it wasn't rebels that caused the attack, it was bombs from the war in New Asia. I hope America figured it out, but knowing her, she probably did before the thought even crossed my mom's mind. It's been 20 minutes since the first bomb dropped and they aren't stopping.

"Is this castle going to be destroyed?" I ask, turning around to face my mom.

"Probably, but we do have a much smaller one across the country that we can reside in while they rebuild this one," she says confidently.

"Has this ever happened before?" I ask. I mean, I'm sure it did, but not in my time. My mom frowned.

"No. This is brand new. The war in New Asia is getting a lot worse." Way to state the obvious.

"How long are we going to be here?" One of the girls asks. They had to come with us because there was so little time to run and get to a safe place.

"It might be awhile," my mom says. I sigh. Of course it'll be awhile. Normally, I would consider taking a nap, but I can't bear the idea of America being in so much danger. She's the only one I love. Sure, I have feelings for Kriss, but it's very far from love. A love that'll never develop.

Every day since America first arrived at the castle, I dreamed about our future every night. Imagining a happy future, with little Americas and Maxons running around. A tear falls down my face. That might not come true. As I keep thinking about everything, I slowly fall into a deep, deep slumber.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I stand alone in a large, green field. Flower buds peek up from the green glades of grass.

"Hello?" I ask uncertainly. Where am I? Am I stranded?

"Mom? Dad? Someone?" No response.

"Am I dead?" I blurt out randomly. Hey, you never know. I don't remember dying but maybe that happens to everyone.

"No, you are not dead. You are in a waiting room," a voice says to me. They call this a waiting room?! What the heck am I waiting for?

"What am I waiting for? Or who?" The spiritual voice doesn't answer me. I grunt in frustration. I don't ever remember doing anything. The last thing I did was go into the Safe Room.

The Safe Room!

Maybe I'm waiting for a survivor of some sort?

Memories flood back to me as I remember everything. The windows exploding, everyone falling to the ground, everyone except for America that is. Screaming her name, pounding my fists angrily on the table. My mom pulling me away, telling me to get ahold of myself as she drags me to a safe room. The realization that we weren't hit by rebels, we were hit by bombs.

"How long do I have to wait?" I ask as patiently as I can.

"I'm sorry," a voice says and suddenly the room changes. Instead of standing in a meadow, I'm in a hospital.

"They're gone," the voice says mournfully and I start to scream.

"Who?! Why?!" A doctor steps into view.

"Your father and America. They didn't get to safety in time," the doctor says sadly.

"You may not want to hear this now, but I'm going to tell you anyway. Your father's last words were that if he died, you should pick a wife today and have a coronation ASAP. He also said he loves you and your mother very, very much and told me to not let you fall apart." My eyes blur with tears. They are rapidly falling down my face.

"I'M NOT PICKING A DAMN WIFE!! THE ONLY GIRL I EVER FELT LOVE TOWARDS IS AMERICA, AND NOW SHE'S DEAD! AND YOU EXPECT ME TO JUST MOVE ON?!" The doctor shrinks back a little bit.

"I'm never choosing a wife," I murmur back to her. She just shrugs.

"I'm sorry this kingdom has experienced such a great loss." The doctor says and then leaves the room. The room changes, again, until I'm in a room with my father and America. They are both lying still, cold and lifeless. It's really depressing. I go to my dad first.

"I don't know how mom is taking this, but I know that she is going to miss you terribly as well. I wish it didn't have to come down to this, dad. I love you." I move over to America and when I see her, I collapse. How am I going to live without her? She was-no still is- the one!

"America," I croak out and crumble on the floor. I'd rather die than live alone without her. She was-is- my 2nd half.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Don't worry, that was still a dream. Next chapters will be a lot better, I promise!