Chapter 19

(America's POV)
Tick, tock. Tick, tock.
I watch the clock as the time slowly creeps by. At this point, I'm so sick of the hospital. Sick of waiting for Maxon's visits. Sick of waiting for Lucy to come and give me updates. Sick of waiting for the doctors to come.
I'm not even allowed out of bed! The doctors said I still have to heal. Seriously? Is walking going to delay the healing process? I remember when Lucy came and visit me yesterday.
"Hey America!" Lucy says cheerily.
"Hey!! How's it going?" I was desperate to hear what was going on around the castle. Being cooped up in this hospital was starting to take a tole on me. Lucy's face suddenly drops.
"What's wrong?" I ask curiously.
"I saw Prince Maxon today." Why is that a bad thing? In fact isn't that good? I don't understand her.
"Isn't that a good thing Lucy?" I ask her confusedly.
"I saw him in the gardens. I know that is you guys' spot. He was there with Kriss. They'd been together all day. They were kissing, smiling, and acting as if they didn't have a care in the world. I am disappointed in Prince Maxon, honestly." Lucy tells me. Jealousy whirls around my head. Why would he do that? Why would he ditch me for Kriss? Why, why, why?!?
"America?" I'm pushed away from my thoughts as a voice calls me. I look over to see the doctor.
"You are going to have to stay here for another week to heal, miss." After I hear this, I want to shriek. But I swallow the urge and say,
"But why?"
"We found out that you have a hairline fracture in one of your ribs. However, the kidney damage we thought you had is not true." Thank God. If I had that I would've been really angry. The doctor then leaves and I sink down into my pillow. Well, here comes a week of misery. I snuggle deeper and deeper into the covers until I fall asleep.
--------------------------------------------
I look around the corner to see Maxon and Kriss laughing at something one of them had said. I walk past them and they don't even notice me. What has happened? Maxon used to love me for who I am. In fact, I think I was his favorite.
Was.
What had Kriss done that had somehow captured Maxon's heart? I run off into the dining room and Kriss looks giddy with glee.
"Isn't she a ball of sunshine?" Marlene whispers to me.
"A little too much so, honestly." I whisper back. Maxon stands up and looks at Kriss.
"I have made my final choice as to whom the winner of the selection is. It's going to be.."
"AMERICA!" Someone yells and I bolt up awake. I squint to see Maxon standing in front of me.
"Hello," I say as monotonously as possible.
"Do you want to talk about it?" Maxon asks.
"What are you talking about?" I respond.
"You were obviously having a bad dream. You kept whimpering and tossing and turning." Oh jeez. He saw that? That's embarrassing.
"No." I say tersely and he gets the message.
"What's wrong, America? Have I done something? You're usually a lot happier than this." I avoid eye contact with him. He's making this so much harder than it really should be. But, I don't want to tell him that I'm upset with him about the fact that he did all those things with Kriss. That would make me seem... jealous.
"N-Nothing. Just.. Just tired. Plus I've been in a hospital for awhile. That can make anyone slowly go insane." I yawn for emphasis. But he puts his hand on my chin and pushes my face up so its facing his.
"America, I can see through your lies," he whispers.
"I'm not going to tell you, Maxon! Please, leave me alone." I say painfully and slide back down into the comfort of my pillows. However, he just stands there and stares at me.
Suddenly, the door to my hospital room opens and in comes May. I'm about to jump up and hug her until she says,
"Whoa. I'm gonna leave cause the tension in here is like... Whoa." She looks between me and Maxon.
"Way to make it awkward, May," I say irritatedly. I mean, seriously? Was that really necessary?
"Geez sorry for whatever I did!" May says while rolling her eyes and walking out.
Must. Not. Look. At. His. Eyes.
"America, please. I don't want to see you suffer." He always knew how to make me melt and give in to what he wanted. Always.
"It's stupid, Maxon. You'll laugh." I say.
"America, if something or someone is making you feel bad, I'd never laugh." He says. Of course, I'm starting to feel really bad. Sigh.
"Fine, I'll tell you. But please don't get mad at me."
**********************************
Don't worry, the king is having a huge role very soon!!!