Chapter 15

Note:
Italics are when America is thinking or dreaming.
(America's POV)
Maxon is about to leave the room when suddenly there's a loud bang from outside. All of the girls fall to the ground in shock and cover their heads.
Except me.
I'm just standing there, waiting to see what the cause of the explosion was. I don't know what made me calm all of a sudden, but it's nice.
"America! What do you think you are doing!" Marlee hisses and pulls at my leg. I shake her off and move towards the windows.
"AMERICA!!" I hear someone scream from the other side of the room. Maxon is desperately calling for me, seeing that I'm probably the one in the most danger.
The only thought going through my mind is, it can't be the rebels. There's no way. They don't attack like this.
My suspicions are confirmed as I step closer and closer to the window. I am eternally grateful for wearing heels, because the shards of glass would've gone through my flats more easily. Then, I step outside and past where the window used to be. I can hear Maxon, Marlee, and Kriss' desperate cries for me to come back.
The sight I see out here shocks me. No rebels.
Nothing.
So what was the loud bang that shattered the windows from? I whip my head around and still, there's nothing.
Absolutely. Nobody.
I decide to investigate. I realize this could be very dangerous but heck, you only live once. In the gardens, I see a little bit of dirt that's out of place. Around the corner where there were large windows, I see that one of them shattered and one has cracks in it. Then there's another sound.
Caaaa-Boooooom!!!
I'm thrown off of my feet and fly several feet into the air backwards landing in a patch of dirt. But still, there's no people here. The only thing that could describe a sound like the one I heard before is bombs.
Bombs.
Why didn't I think of that before? I remember the king talking about how the war with New Asia is slowly getting worse, but how bad is it really? At home when I was a 5, they made it seem like all of the fights were in New Asia. Did the soldiers find the palace? Another boom and I see the garden is completely destroyed. I have to get out of here. And fast.
"MAXON!!!"I screech at the top of my lungs. I get no response.
"KING CLARKSON!!"
Silence, except for the sounds of the (hypothetical?) bombs.
"QUEEN AMBERLY?!"
No response.
"ANYBODY?!"
No response.
Great, now I'm on my own. And these high heels suddenly aren't so great anymore. I pull them off and run off with them in my hands. My first thought is to go into the castle. Desperately, I look around for someone, anyone, heck even a rebel. Just something! Another bomb hits and the room next to me explodes.
The first thing that hits my mind is,
Wow, those are weak bombs.
A normal bomb could blow up much more than one room. Not that I'm complaining that these are weak bombs. I faintly hear someone scream my name.
"I'M HERE!!" I shriek but with all of the noise it sounds like a whisper.
"LADY AMERICA?!?!" It sounds like Maxon's highest guard. Gosh, I hope all of the girls are safe. A smaller bomb hits this time and demolishes the room next to me. I'm blocked in.
Mom, Dad, May, Gerad, Kenna, James, heck even Kota, I love you guys with all of my heart. Please, go on without me if the worst happens. I don't want you guys to be miserable. It-
"Lady America thank God I found you!!" I see Maxon's highest guard running towards me. We start to run towards a safe room or whatever when I hear it.
Caaaaa------
I look up and see a bomb falling towards us.
"HURRY!!" I scream to him and he understands how urgent it is. Thank God. He grabs my hand and pulls me to the ground.
"WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING?!" I yell at him. He looks at me with fear in his eyes while saying,
"Curl up in a ball, put your head down, and cover it with your arms."
"But-"
"Just trust me!" He says pleadingly and I do as he wished.
----BOOM.
Black spots cloud my vision and the last thing I hear is screaming.
------------------------------------------
"America?" I rub my eyes and wake up in a field.
"May?" I say groggily.
"AMERICA YOU'RE AWAKE!" She screams and envelopes me in a hug.
"Where are we?" I ask her. It's not my home and it's not the palace.
"It's heaven, America." A million thoughts run through my head. How did I get here? How did May get here?!
"May, how did you get here?" She shrugs.
"I'm just glad I'm with you. I missed you so much while you were gone at the Selection."
The Selection.. Memories flood back at me at an alarming pace.
"MAXON! How is he doing?" I say.
"Look for yourself." May says and guides me through some rooms until we get to a certain one labelled 'watching your loved ones.' I go up to the wall and instantly images and videos of Maxon come up.
"Is this live?" I ask her. She simply nods. I turn back to the wall. Tears are streaming down his face.
"WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE HER?! WHY NOT ME?!" He screams to someone. His mother comes over and soothes him.
"Maxon, it's ok. She's in a better place now." Hs nods but still looks distressed.
"But I love her, mom! She is the only person I could ever love!" He shouts at her. She just sighs and they sit down and stay in silence.
"Maxon?" His mother asks timidly.
"Yes?"
"Do you really think she's gone? I think she's out there, struggling to come back here. To be with you. I don't think she'd give up that easily. She's strong and very brave." Tears stop running down Maxon's face.
"You really think so?" He asks her.
"I really think so." His mother replies and they hug each other. I feel so bad knowing that the queen is wrong.
"America?" May asks timidly.
"Mm?"
"Did you, uhh, love him?" I know exactly who she is talking about.
"Yes, yes I did. With all of my heart." I say with tears streaming down my face. The realization strikes me hard: I'll never see him again! I slump against the wall and cry into my hands.
"What about me?" May jokes.
"I love you with all of my brain," I tell her jokingly back and smile through my tears.
"Let's go rest, America."
"Yes, let's go."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
REMEMBER THAT THE ITALICIZED WORDS WERE AMERICA DREAMING! IT WASN'T ACTUALLY REAL!!! (I don't want anybody confused)