Chapter 9: Old Friends

Giana woke up at 5:15. Again, Radio Active was playing. She was starting to hate that song. After letting the whole song play for a minute, she got out of bed. 
After showering, she put on her gray gi, then headed to the kitchen. Misako was making waffles, with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, strawberries, and even syrup for the weird people who didn't like chocolate syrup. 
"Good morning, Lori!" Zayne said cheerfully. Giana sat down. 
"Morning." She grumbled, still half asleep. "What's up Zayne?" 
"Well, due to confusion, we decided that it would be best for Zayne to change her name," Maria said, "So she changed it to Zya." 
"Zya= Zayne. Got it." Said, Giana. "By the way, call me by my birth name." She said, taking two large waffles from the stack that Misako had in the middle of the island. 
"What is your birth name, sweetheart?" Asked Kory. Giana and Kory had been dating ever since Giana had started going to Clear Water High. 
"Giana." She said, pouring chocolate syrup over her whipped cream. 
"Nice name," Alex said, using his mouth to catch some chocolate that about fell on his yellow gi. "Who are your birth parents?" He asked. 
"Misako and Garmadon." She smiled. 
"Oh, that's nice," Said Carter, who was wearing his new teal outfit. 
"Wait, who are your parents?" CC shouted. She was trying to put on her purple bandana (she was wearing the outfit from Rebooted.) and she let it fall down onto her black gi. 
"Um, Misako and Garmadon, why do you ask?" She asked. 
"That means that your Lloyds brother!" Shouted DJ, who was seeing if the strawberries matched his maroon gi. 
"Yes, and my daughter," Misako said sweetly. "More of anything dear?" She asked Giana. 
"Look, Misako, can I talk to you for a moment?" Giana asked, pushing her chair back. 
"Of course, what do you want to ask me, dear?" Misako asked. Giana escorted her to the training area. 
"Look, Misako, I was wondering, if you would be okay if I just called you Misako, not mom. I don't feel right to me. I've had..." Giana paused, "Issues and I prefer to not use the terms mom, dad, mother, father, mommy and daddy. Is that okay?" 
"That's okay dear, as long as I can call you dear, and honey when I want." Misako smiled. 
"Oh, that's fine, I just don't want to call you mom. It's just something I can't do anymore. I've had two abusive families, and I've been abandoned because of a pregnancy. I can't call anyone mom or dad anyone." 
"You don't have to tell me, but what was it like, you know, with the other families?" 
"Well, I don't really remember what happened with my first family, but then I was Auburn Smith. I was officially taken when I was 3, but when I was 2, my dad Jackson Smith, didn't want me. He wanted his own kid, but his wife hadn't been pregnant and had had three miscarriages, so he was desperate and adopted me. Well, after that, I was Lillian Jackson."
"As Lillian Jackson, my mother, Kelly Jackson III was very competitive. I was adopted at four, so I was immediately put into dance class. I was always competing in a dancing competition. Whenever I didn't satisfy my mom, she would lock me in a closet for a day, with only a little food and water. My dad finally found out when I was 10, so he sent me back to the orphanage."
"I was adopted by a family in Kansas. There, I was Grace Carwell. Dancing and singing superstar. I had a couple of friends and even a boyfriend. Zach was all it. I kept competing in dancing and even went to an international tournament when I was 13. I won first there,  that was only one of my wins. I did a lot of other stuff." 
"Well, shortly after, my mother at the time became pregnant, and I was unadopted. When I was 14, I was taken to Tokyo, to see if maybe someone who wasn't from the United States would adopt me. I was being fostered by the Dim Sun family when I started doing Karate. Then I came here. All of my friends from Tokyo are here now." Giana heaved a long sigh. "I still wish that I hadn't had to live like that, I mean, I have to wear this compression sleeve, and I still keep getting calls from producers who want to make me a star. I vowed if I didn't get adopted by the time I was 16, I would go with one of them." Giana waved her silvery compression sleeve around. Her claw hand wasn't covered, but when she was on Earth, all but her fingers were covered, from her shoulders down. 
"Thank you for telling me, darling," Misako told her. 
"Your welcome, it feels good to get that off my mind." She smiled. 
"Here is you new gi," Misako said, handing Giana a sea-green gi. 
"Go change, Wu will be here in a few minutes to train you. I got a call from the hospital, your brother can come home tomorrow maybe. I'll go visit him." She smiled, then lead Giana out of the room. Wu was waiting for her in the dojo. 
"Are you ready to begin your training, Giana?" She smiled. 
"Yes, master." She smiled and bowed. 
"I'll be back for lunch, do you guys want something from Ninjago?" Misako asked, the question mostly for Sensei. 
"Well, a little..." 
"More tea?" Giana finished. She did a jumping roll over Sensei. 
"How?" Sensei asked.
"Well, I guess I've always been able to do it, I just didn't realize what it was." She had read his mind. 
"Maybe this means that you are more advanced in your training on your own than I thought." Sensei said, "Would you like to train with another Ninja today?" 
"No, I want to get Tristen here, I think it would be best to get Lloyd help as soon as possible." She said. Misako left. Sensei lead Giana out by the lake.